Thursday, May 10, 2007

it's time

It's nearly time to leave for New Hampshire and I know this because of my new watch...Last week, I saw my cool cousin Lauren (midwife and all around neat person) and she was wearing my watch. I mean, the watch I always wanted to buy myself but hadn't. So, sorry Lauren, but now we are watch twins. The watch was sized to fit a monster so I had to go get it fitted at the jewelers downtown. 'Cause you know, I had nothing else to do...

The strawberries have mostly been frozen, except for this one bowl full that I am saving for lunch. It has a little sugar and balsamic vinegar sprinkled in, and I plan to put cream on top. I can't wait to eat it. It's my reward for the fleece, drying downstairs, all the other frozen berries, and the sheer quantity of hotel reservations, plane tickets, and other details I've covered since we last met. Btw, when you wake up between 5:30 and 6 AM and then stay up late, it's remarkable how much you can get done. I don't advise it, but it seems to work around here...and I fall into bed when I'm done!

A little while back, I bought a little book called Travel Yoga because I thought that maybe if I had a book like that, my own travelling book deal would work out. You know, change my karma. Last Thursday, as we were being paged by the airline (they were about to give our seats away) and we were trying to get through the enormous security lines, and then racing through the Nashville airport, I remembered that I forgot the book. As I squeezed myself into the second to last seat on the plane, between a lovely nursing mom and infant (who managed to share a bit of her seat with me) and a large man that made the professor look petite (and he couldn't help but lean on me the whole flight, yuck), I thought about the book and fumed. The professor sat next to a nice military contractor, in the last seat on the plane. He said it was a fine ride.

I'm budgeting plenty of time to get to the airport this week to go to New Hampshire, AND I remembered the book. I even read a part of it. It said to take one's time and smell the roses as you travel. Hmm. I'll have to think about that if we have to run through any more airports. Oh, and I'm leaving my roses in the garden at home, just for safety's sake. Do thorns count as a security risk?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Eek!! Sounds like a crazy trip. Hope NH is more relaxed. Does your book mean that you'll be coming to Oregon Flock and Fiber in September?? ( I hope)

Pretty roses.

May 10, 2007 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Hmmmm, I don't know why, but I don't feel sorry for you. :) I only wish you would bring me back some kind of wonderful fiber from the show. I don't care, it can be any wonderful kind. :)

May 10, 2007 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Definitely take time to smell the roses, and hold that smell in memory for the times when you're sitting next to something that smells worse. And watch for the small wonders that make life beautiful. Cobwebs and dust motes in sunlight, the pattern of leaf shadows on the pavement, the weirdnesses of airports (all those people! all those stories! all those skills!). Have fun!

May 11, 2007 at 3:19 AM  
Blogger Knitted Gems said...

The strawberries look delicious; such a fun reward! I just made up a Coffee Cake this week topped off with strawberries. So good.
Happy Travels.

May 11, 2007 at 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home