Thursday, October 18, 2007

feminists have more fun

Feminists have more Fun ! Check out this study--nice to have it quantified, but was there ever any doubt? (not in this feminist's mind...)

I've been finding the responses to my last post's questions about why people read/write blogs so interesting! Cathy wrote a whole blog entry in response. It sounds like we're all fascinated by others' lives, we want to learn more about others, make friends and connections. It's not all about fiber arts, either, although that's what many of us have in common. What saddens me is how isolated many of us feel in our actual communities. That aspect of who we are and what we do--as smart, artsy, creative, thoughtful people, can be difficult. It's something I struggle with a great deal.

Finding community can be hard. Sometimes, the hardest part is knowing when you're being left out. I just learned today that our local university has a writer-in-residence. This writers' community is so underground that I have no idea what the application process is, or how the current writer-in-residence got selected. I've won state-wide recognition for which I've been so grateful, but locally, I'm invisible. That's hard...and it's one of the reasons that I've never found a close community here. It's not any kind of prize or title I'm seeking, but rather--a connection with others who have something in common with me, or something I could learn from. It's the first place I've ever lived that I've had this problem with--and in the end, it's just that I don't have much in common with my neighbors. Religion, politics, career choices, lifestyle--all different... if it weren't for the professor's job, well, his university is here.

As a result, I hole up inside, work on my own projects, and try to focus on what is rich in my life. Cathy pointed me to this blog and Cyndy's YouTube video (click on "My Walking Wheel") inspired me for days...Thank you!!

I'm off to Rhinebeck tomorrow, to the NY State Sheep and Wool Festival! I can't wait. First, upstate NY holds a dear place in my heart... I've lived in both Ithaca and Buffalo, and the professor's family has a vacation place in Argyle, near Glens Falls. I can't wait to see the fall colors, the apples, and the artistry and friends that I'll be sure to find at the festival!

8 Comments:

Blogger Katie K said...

I get it.

BTW, hope to see you Sunday at Rhinebeck. I'll be wearing a dark olive fedora.

Enjoy.

October 18, 2007 at 7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's odd and frustrating how sometimes a place seems so hostile, but I've been there, so I understand. Don't feel bad about the writer-in-residence thing, though. As I'm sure the professor can tell you, the academic world is a thing unto itself, largely impenetrable to those outside it. I'll bet there are other frustrated, isolated writers in Bowling Green, but it isn't always obvious how to find them, I guess. Hang in there.

Meanwhile, it will always annoy me that "feminist" got turned into a dirty word along the way. I'd be curious to know whether that study used the word in asking its questions or whether it asked "do you believe in equality between the sexes" or something. No matter. Having too much fun.

Your fellow feminist, Janet

October 18, 2007 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

After Thursday night's horrific storms, I hope you and yours are safe.

October 19, 2007 at 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you have wonderful time at Rhinebeck! Thank you for being part of my community. I am blessed by your friendship.

October 19, 2007 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

I hope you have a blast enjoying your community away from home at Rhinebeck!

I'm not soo isolated as I have a small group of gals I get along with real well and I enjoy the different gals at one of the LYSs (though they don't support spinning) and I'm also within relatively easy driving distance of Cathy. But, since I work from home I too feel quite isolated a lot of the time. I think the blog helps less that a fair amount.

I've enjoyed both your original message and Cathy's response. It's nice food for thought.

October 19, 2007 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Nancy, Thank you for asking! I hope you check back in! I am ok and now in upstate NY. We did have a wild night of storms in KY, but luckily, nothing terrible happened nearby. A friend in the neighborhood had a tree SPLIT down the middle in their front yard, but they were so lucky, the tree fell into the street and not on their house. I'll post more when I get home, probably on Tuesday or Wed. Thanks so much for your concern! It's appreciated.

October 19, 2007 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Deborah Robson said...

I am nobody. Who are you?
Are you nobody too?
Then there's a pair of us.
Don't tell--they'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody,
How public--like a frog--
To tell your name the livelong June
To an admiring bog.

-- Emily Dickinson

(If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me.)

October 20, 2007 at 12:01 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

There may be a lot of differences between us, but I understand what you mean. I moved to KY when I was 7--and even though I've lived here since--I've never felt like I fit in. I've always felt rather left out. I think this area has a holier than thou attitude, if you aren't from here originally.

And thank you so much for teaching me how to spin. I haven't had much time to practice, as its been a crazy week (3 fire alarms in one night, eek) but I've been working some! I keep my little skein of handspun on my desk as a motivator. Thank you so much--and it was amazing to talk to someone who understands the knitting joy and all that. =]

Have a good time at Rhinebeck. =]

October 20, 2007 at 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home