Wednesday, February 13, 2008

bread & milk?

We don't get much snow around here. The big joke in South? One person says, "Did you hear that there's snow on the weather report?"

and the response is, "Do you have bread and milk?" I have no earthly idea why all these households in the South don't have milk and bread the rest of the time, or why, if there's an inch of snow, there should be a run on the store to buy these two items. Logic is completely unrelated to this weird custom!!

However, this morning, when I went out to snap a photo of a rare morning around here (freezing rain, topped by some slippery snow flurries, which would not cause any discussion in upstate New York or New England, but of course, we have no salt, sand, or plows, so schools are closed), I saw a man walking up the hill with a half a bag of Wonder bread. A bread emergency? No kidding.

My enjoyment of a nice brisk 20 degree day with flurries was marred by the fact that there are still folks in my area with tarps over their roofs, or no roofs at all from the bad storms and tornadoes we had in the last couple of weeks. The university is doing a "Show of Love" bake and art sale tomorrow to collect donations and other household supplies for community families that have been affected.
On the fibery front, I've been busy lately. Here's some handspun that I just washed and dried. From left to right: Gray Mohair and handdyed alpaca/wool pink blend 2 ply, a skein of Jacobs wool, spun from the lock, 1 small skein of spindle spun Finn wool over a big pile of Romney and fine wool cross brown singles, and finally, another skein of 2 ply Finn wool (for mittens, someday.) The 2 ply Fin wool is fingering to sport weight; everything else is approximately worsted weight. I'm thinking of doing a two color sweater maybe with the dark brown wool, but I'll think on that as I spin some more.

I've finished the first mitten from the Grafton Fiber batt. I've got the Black Watch color scheme going here, and you'll note that the afterthought thumb is GREEN. 'Cause, of course I like to think I have a green thumb! The second mitten will have a black thumb, perhaps, just to play up the joke. Are you interested in learning how I got from the batt to the mitten? Let me know in the comments and I'll do a tutorial.

Finally, in preparation for Valentine's day, the professor has given me some very beautiful tools. (actually, he gave them to me in mid-January, but whatever..we're not strict about dates here!) I've used my Heart's Ease Socks as a backdrop so you can remember the Valentine's theme... These are two pairs of very fine antique scissors, made in France, and recently rediscovered and offered for sale. The professor also got me a special horn comb. I'm filled with delight over these tools. He'd apparently been thinking about it a while, because we use both his mother's scissors and great-grandmother's scissors all the time. He thought of these new ones as an investment in the future. That's a pretty romantic notion, isn't it?!



Have a happy, affection-filled day tomorrow, with extra hugs from me! :)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A green thumb. Perfect.

And good for the university for teaching the kids to reach out to those who need a hand.

February 13, 2008 at 1:02 PM  
Blogger Taueret said...

nothing is more romantic than something thoughtful. Your bread emergency makes me laugh. Here we never have snow, of course, but there are like 3 das in the entire year when the shops are actually closed up tight- Xmas, Good Friday and Anzac Day. Every other day, you can shop. So on the eve of any of these days? A complete wild FRENZY of acquisition. I call it the Y2K frenzy or the Shopping Apocalypse. You would honstly think that no food would ever be available for purchase again. (forget that convenience stores don't usually close on these days anyway!!)

February 13, 2008 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger Marmee said...

I love your blog!! We are in the same general area and I love spinning too!!
I found your blog through Peggy and have been lurking, I must admit. Came out today to say how much you make me smile!
Keep up the good work!

February 14, 2008 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Oh! I love the professor's thoughtful gifts for (both of) you.

Please do the tutorial from batt to the mitten - I think I may have re-found my green thumb despite Mother Nature's best attempts at foiling me with sub-zero temperatures.

Happy Day!

February 14, 2008 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger Sarah Jean said...

Aw, a green thumb! Hee. That just made my day.

The professor seems like a very nice fellow, getting you such a thoughtful gift.

February 14, 2008 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

What? Milk, bread and no toilet paper? What's the matter with those people? Around here it's always a cartful of toilet paper and some paper towel rolls, too.

You'll find me checking out the latest additions to the paperbacks... while M stocks up on apples. You can see we have our priorities straight.

Love the green thumb. You are quite witty with the black one.

February 15, 2008 at 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Love* the colors in the mittens, and the tools and socks are great! In Missouri, it always seems to be a run on bread, milk and toilet paper, though I really like the idea of checking out the book rack too ;o)

February 16, 2008 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

It's bread & milk in NJ, too. Although, I have no idea why either. Very strange!

February 18, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home