Thursday, July 17, 2008

every last bit!

Today was a real glamour day in the knitwear design world. NOT! I reknit the end of the cashmere project THREE times. I wanted to use every last bit. I wanted Lucy's cashmere to be perfect.


It's hot here, in the 90's Fahrenheit (33 C) and no, it's not a "real feel" temperature--I have no idea how hot that is. Dang hot. So, here I am, cashmere fuzz sticking to me, doing this over and over. This fiber, this Lucy remembrance week, didn't want to end. (Thanks, by the way, for all your kind notes. Those comments felt like we were all drinking tea together, eating snacks and bonding. I was very grateful!) I finally ended up with about 2 yards left...third time's the charm. It was worth it.
Other exciting activities including going out to review what was interesting in our garden. I missed the Tuesday morning farmer's market and we're a bit low on veggies. (we've got loads of fruit though, just no tomatoes, a staple of summer life here!) So, I picked a cucumber and I found a lot of this:

Rich, leafy greens, growing in hot weather, filled with Vitamin A? Dandelion Greens. Really. Look how good those are! If you have a garden space where there's no chance of herbicide or pesticide being sprayed, there's a good chance you'll grow some of these. I'm looking forward to sauteing them with garlic, adding olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice, and throwing it over some pasta with goat cheese. Add some fruit and cold white wine and voila! Summer dinner.
Oh, and then the mail came. My friend Alison has such good timing. Ok, now it's a squeeze of Meyer lemon juice, from her garden! I'd been thinking about lemon curd lately. When I was in Nashville yesterday, a jar was nearly $9! Guess it's time to spend quality time with those real lemons...and make some from scratch. Thank you, Alison, (AGAIN!) for this wonderful pleasure!
Any summer pleasures you're squeezing every last bit from? Do tell...

7 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

I'm playing catch up here - your tribute to Lucy was wonderful. There's nothing so special as the bond we have with our pets. I know she was a special dog and she will be with you always. She was lucky to have you as long as she did. I hope you enjoy your fibery creation for many years to come.

We are sharing your heat here in the North.....and the humidity is building. I live in the north for a reason...I do not like heat and humidity but my gardens do and that's my consolation prize :) I'm using up cabbages and making Everlasting slaw to enjoy all winter long. The longer it sits in the fridge, the better it tastes.

I hope your summer dinner was deliceous!

July 17, 2008 at 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This time you didn't know it was coming, and I had great fun doing that. Far better to share than to let them simply fall unused. My father-in-law last month marvelled that he'd never before picked lemons and made lemonade on the spot, and it helped me realize how much I take my Meyers for granted. Your revelling in the novelty of it made me want to go do that again!

July 18, 2008 at 1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Summer pleasures?! *insert hysterical laughter* well, it's a little warmer than yesterday - probably at least 19 degrees out there :-P so we haven't been doing the summer thing so much.

I will say though - the locals have it all worked out. No matter how cold it is, if there's the merest hint of sun peeking through the rain the parks will be full of sunbathers and balcony-owners will be dragging out the barbecues and Pimms. They know better than to wait for the mercury to creep higher.

There is a silver lining however, it's never too hot to knit :-D (although sometimes it's too humid)and I'm totally cranking through the projects this summer.

July 18, 2008 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Romi said...

Yum. I love Meyer lemons!

The cashmere looks great. :)

July 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

I'm going to have to try those dandelion greens.(no pesticide region, I know.) I so love canning myself, it has been some years since I did much though. Maybe next year I'll get back into the flow. :) Right now, I could do with some cooler northern temps. It is hot here in BG.

July 19, 2008 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

At least reading your blog I get to enjoy summer second hand!Its cool & windy here in Yorkshire although the sun has managed to shine. Thank goodness I have a polytunnel!

July 20, 2008 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

oooo, lemon curd...fond memories of eating toast with lemon curd slathered on it when my kids were little. Tiptree brand was our fave, but homemade sounds even better. :)

July 21, 2008 at 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home