Thursday, December 18, 2008

All good things...

All good things must come to an end... This is what I was thinking to myself as I drove up to visit Angel hair Yarn Company one last time. This is a yarn shop where they made me feel welcome, even though I wasn't from Nashville, and was just dropping in when I was in town. I'd go grocery shopping to buy yummy treats that I can't get in my town...and of course, yarn tidbits. So, no big deal--drive 75 miles, do your errands, and stop by for a yarn treat. This is a routine I've been keeping for nearly a year of appointments in this part of Nashville.

I hadn't planned to post anything about this...a Rowan Magazine and a pattern book, a few skeins of Takhi Cotton Classic and one odd skein of Rowan Scottish Tweed DK yarn, a row counter, a #3 circular needle...these aren't unusual acquisitions at your local (or, in this case, not at all local) yarn shop.

However, just as I was about to check out, a remarkably familiar looking person came in. She thought the same thing about me. We both admired each other's knitting. She wore a floaty and beautiful Kidsilk Haze scarf in two colors. I wore a bright red sweater (knit in Brown Sheep Bulky one ply Lamb's Pride) that my mom knit. We chatted. We realized we'd emailed with each other over a year ago, when I was in the middle of traveling to festivals as research for Fiber Gathering. That time is a blur--I remember feeling sort of exhausted and desperate and just hope I didn't write anything embarrassing to her!

Anyhow, you'll never guess who I finally met in the flesh. Only the most famous knitblogger in Nashville. Possibly the most famous knitter within, say,maybe three states....Ann Shayne. You know, the one who just put out her second book? I was pretty stunned by my experience...and decided to blog about it right away. Well, not right away. First I spent nearly 2 hours fighting rush hour traffic and driving 75 miles home in the dark, going...I met Ann. I met Ann Shayne. And she's very pretty--and much taller than I'd imagined. You know, because I could tell how tall she was from her blog posts?!

Cool, huh? Have you met anybody famous lately? Spent two hours in the dark in your car by yourself in traffic...? I am still sad that this yarn shop is closing, but gosh, what a way to celebrate my final visit. Wow. Did I say Wow yet?

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That's so cool :-)

I haven't really met anyone famous by accident, but I can claim acquaintance with Ysolda Teage - I guess that counts!

2 hours in peak traffic in the dark though - ugh!

December 19, 2008 at 3:19 AM  
Blogger subliminalrabbit said...

2 hours in traffic last night - going less than 30 miles. oh yeah. i love you los angeles!

December 19, 2008 at 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way cool! I had an experience like that once. In a yarn store, too. With both of us going, wait, who are you...

And then me going, "You're JILL VOSBURG?!! THE Jill Vosburg!??" While she was doing the same thing with me. Mind you, this was before I even had a blog or book, so it was highly flattering. We were both gobsmacked and both acutely shy and highly glad to meet each other and both acutely aware of how funny it was that we both had the same reaction of ohmygosh, it's HER!!!

Too funny. I'm glad you got to meet THE Ann!

December 19, 2008 at 6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home