Thursday, February 12, 2009

huff and puff

We had some wind yesterday. To be exact, 50 to 70 mile an hour winds. I was planning to go to Nashville with a friend; we'd scheduled appointments so we could carpool. We chose to stay home...it just didn't make sense to be on a highway for over an hour with such big winds. This morning, I looked out the window at my back fence and saw this. To get closer, I walked around these tree limbs that were wrenched off the trees by the wind.


Up close, you could see the fence hadn't gone too far. My professor put on his fix-it clothes and went outside to patch things up before going to work. I figured out what it looked like... those Three Pigs picture books. You know, when the wolf says:
"I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll BLOW your house down!"

Apparently, our --very good-- dogs were still sleepy, because we don't think they noticed the big gap in their fence. Whew! What a relief that we didn't have to chase down loose dogs along with fixing the fence. They came right inside when we called them and didn't leave the yard.

In other news, my latest swatch experiments should be coming to a close soon...that would be 6 swatches in the last couple of weeks. Makes me miss knitting real projects. Yesterday, I tried out some Rowan Extra-Fine Merino DK for a design I'm working on. Note: Knitwear designers really do knit swatches. We even block them. That's how we get good gauge measurements! (stepping down from soapbox now...)

I also heard from my publisher yesterday that there were a record number of backorders for my book in its "topic" category over at Amazon! (that's good, huh!?) Pretty neat since it's not even available for sale yet. I've installed a link over to the right of these posts just in case you want to wander over for a bit of shopping...

I hear the big winds are moving towards the east coast now. Take good care! (and luckily, parts of our house are built of brick, so inside, we were safe and lived happily ever after, just like the smartest little pig.)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Willow said...

Are all the little pigs living at your house? I always thought it was a bit unfair for the two other pigs to run to the third pig's house to be safe! I am glad that you are safe and so are the dogs.

I always swatch too, 'now'. There was a sad sad time when I didn't...

February 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the pre-orders! And that fence looks just like ours did a few times after a few storms (before we gave up and replaced it entirely), so your pictures bring back lots of memories. Of helping the neighbor and working from her side of the fence as well as ours while my sweetie mended the thing.

February 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

Well, I'm glad the smart little pig cares about his siblings. Just hope they are free loaders! They're just family down on their luck. It wasn't their fault that they were sold inferior materials!

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

Joanne, Is there information on the content of your book anywhere? On your blog? I'm interested in finding out what it's about. I looked up the link on Amazon...

February 12, 2009 at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home