Sunday, November 22, 2009

I tell you zee joke

A couple nights ago, the professor and I were talking about science presentations and things. I brought up a recent conference that I read it about. The meeting was held to dicuss the increased difficulties and issues, due to melting ice, regarding polar bear and human interaction. Apparently the meeting was very popular and useful because of the increased polar bear/human interaction and danger all over the world. People came from the U.S., Greenland, Canada, and several other countries to attend the meeting.

Then my professor says, "And what was polar bear attendance like?"

Suddenly he starts making these weirdo moaning noises that polar bears make. We only know these noises from when we watch them on nature shows or at the zoo; we haven't been up to Churchill, Manitoba yet to see the polar bears ourselves. (We know people who have been there and scientists who study them, though...)

I start laughing and ask him what he is doing. He says, "Oh, this is what I think the polar bear powerpoint presentations are like." (Yeah, all the slides are white. Every last one of them.)

PS: I thought I'd tell you about this joke today because I went skating this afternoon at a rec center about a mile or two from my house. When I was skating around and around, I realized I didn't have a camera. Also, I couldn't possibly have managed a photo while dodging all the pint sized kids zooming around me on their hockey skates. For the first time I've skated in perhaps 13-15 years, (at least since college) all went well. I didn't fall, and my new stiff figure skates and I managed to stay afloat for about 40 minutes before I called it a day. My ankles hurt like they were on fire---but I'll be out again to build up those muscles soon! I can't believe I used to be good at this--I'm so rusty! However, well, the ice looked alot like the professor's description of a polar bear powerpoint presentation. It's possible tomorrow I'll be copying the moaning sounds of the polar bears too if my ankles are sore...

So, did you think this was as funny as I did? Please let me know!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Ian Timshel said...

I'm looking forward to your reviews of your time skating on the river. I love not skating in circles! Welcome to the Great White North.

November 22, 2009 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Tomorrow take a camera so we can get a real photo of the polar bear powerpoint! (I laughed, yes I did!)

November 22, 2009 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

Yup, it was just as funny to me as it was to you! HAHAHA :)

November 22, 2009 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Sounds similar to a conversation we would have had. I guess we can say 'great minds think alike'!

Congrats on the ice skating. It's been years since I've been on skates. I think about going every now & then, but, since I never was very good (can go forward, that's about it) I'm terrified of falling & breaking something. Guess I'll stay home & sip hot chocolate. I have that part down just fine.

November 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger ilana said...

wow- skating sounds like so much fun. was it outdoors?
hehe- polar bear slide show!

November 23, 2009 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I think the very idea of a conference on how to manage interacting with polar bears is funny. I just don't see very many of them kicking back with their brie and bread in the redwoods here.

November 24, 2009 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Tracy Hopkins said...

there really is nothing better than science geek humor, is there?

November 24, 2009 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I love it! Please tell the professor so as well. :)

Jenny

November 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home