Friday, July 16, 2010

ebooks

I'm hearing about more and more people who are buying their new books only as ebooks. This way there is a much smaller carbon footprint for their purchase. (No paper, no printing, no shipping--all in all, a very good and green idea.) I'm sort of old fashioned, so I still really enjoy buying my books as, well, books...but even so, I end up buying a lot of my books used so I know more than one person makes use of that original production energy. However, on thinking about it, it seemed to me that other people who were interested in buying Knit Green new might worry about their carbon footprints.

It also seemed to me that if you were, perhaps, driving around to festivals with your copy of Fiber Gathering, it might be easier to transport as an electronic file.

Yet, when I've checked the sales figures of my books, I was surprised. I found very, very few books have been bought as ebooks. (fewer than 20 copies total for each book.)
....so I'll come right out and say it.
Did you know that you can buy Knit Green as an ebook download? You could download and knit designs from this book without ever printing it! You could also perhaps print out just the patterns you were planning on knitting...

Also, did you know you could get Fiber Gathering online as ebook download?

I'm not very good at being a salesperson for my books sometimes. I'm also not too hot at this promotional thing...it makes me feel very self-conscious. However, this topic seemed like maybe it was worth mentioning. I'll be curious to know from you, dear readers, if you are reading more books as ebooks these days. Does this sort of thing tempt you? I'm curious. Tell me if you're tempted by this sort of thing or if, like me, you're still sort of a fan of the old-fashioned, paper and print, hold-in-your-hand book. Inquiring minds want to know...

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Artful Gathering said...

I like to go to a bookstore (new or used) and buy a book.. my second favorite is to buy it on Amazon(used). I only buy new if there is no other alternative. I was just at Borders today! Bookstores are my favorite stores!

July 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Hmmmm.. I have Fiber Gathering, and have to admit I find it a 'curl up on the couch & read/browse' sort of book....I think it's better in person than on the computer for that reason.

A strictly pattern book would be okay as an ebook.

July 16, 2010 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger Cloverleaf Art and Fibre said...

I love books. The smell, the feel, the colours and the shapes. I also love the history of used books and the pleasure of passing them along.

Because I am an old cynic, I question the validity of the "green" claim when marketing ebooks. There is nothing environmentally sound about the electronic equipment needed to read them. Computers and Kindle type readers take a tremendous amount of energy to manufacture and operate, contain trace elements mined under questionable conditions, go obselete in a ridiculously short time, and then end up as toxic waste in landfills or compromising the health of workers in third world "recycling" depots. Give me a nice paperback book printed on recycled paper with vegetable inks anyday! When it finally falls apart it can go in the compost.

Now that I have this commenting thing figured out, I would also like to say happy first anniversary in Winnipeg, Joanne! We are lucky to have you.
M.

July 16, 2010 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger Sharon Jones said...

I do love traditional books, but I have also become very attached to my Kindle. Unfortunately, your books don't seem to be available in the Kindle format. :(

July 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger ilana said...

i am really tempted to get an ebook reader. i usually only read books on the subway going to or from work. in truth i buy few books - except i ALWAYS buy yours, but otherwise rely on the library or friends. i've heard www.paperbackswap.com is gaining popularity with a lot of my friends.

July 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

I'm definitely a 'hold it in my hands' kind of reader, although I've also become an avid audiobooks fan since I can listen and knit or spin for hours. I blame Simon Vance's reading of Stieg Larsson's "Girl" books for my recent casting on of several new projects.
But my knitting books and books I want to read rather than listen to? I'll take my hard copies anyday over an ebook.

July 18, 2010 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Very good question. Being a child of the 50s, I am used to having an actual book in hand. Being a lover of books, I love to own them as well. However, I am also somewhat tech savvy and am contemplating the purchase of some form of ebook technology. The question is what? Kindle? Nook? iPad? or should I just buy them for my laptop?????? Since there are so many choices and I have yet to hear a definitive frontrunner in the choices, I've done nothing and continue to purchase the good ole' real thing.

July 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I prefer an actual hold-in-your-hands book...until I'm packing for a week long vacation. That's the only time I think a Kindle-type reader would be nice.

July 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger angelina said...

i'm not tempted. i am a lover of sitting on the sofa and opening up a beautiful craft book which i will have and look at for many many years to come. i would love that book!!!

July 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger Abbington said...

For a craft book, or a cookbook etc, or a much loved book that I will read over and over, then I prefer the printed version. I also like being able to quickly flick back and forth between pages in these sorts of books, and make annotations on the pages.

For a book I might only read once, like the latest bestseller, quite happy to read an e-book.

July 23, 2010 at 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home