Thursday, September 06, 2018

Back to school

The last few days before school starts, well, it was all a big blur.  Although someone may have taken some, it's easiest to admit...there are no photos that I took.  It was crazy.

We've been picking an older neighbour's apple tree (and tidying up underneath it) and well, it's a lot of apples.  I have an enormous shopping bag of apples left in the fridge, and that is after countless dehydrator apple chip sessions, applesauce, peach-apple jam, a couple of crumbles, and at least an apple a day for everybody.   (We have also donated a lot of apples so others might eat them.)

Then, last weekend, we went out to a U-pick vegetable farm, because I needed to make some pickles.  I thought I needed maybe 12-15 lbs of cucumbers.  I spoke with the farmer, who is also a professor at our Professor's university.  I held Sadie the dog's leash.  And before I knew it, twins and their professor dad had picked:
Over 40 lbs of cucumbers
a dozen ears of corn
a zucchini the size of a cricket bat
one bright orange winter storage squash

I stopped them right then and there.  It's been a lot of putting up since then.  I've canned 23 lbs+ of pickles.  The rest of those cucumbers also got donated.  A family can only eat so many...

While this happened, we prepared for the start of Grade 2!

And, this article ran...(and I missed it entirely, so forgive the delay in mentioning it.)
The benefits from repetition

Soon-- it will be a new year!  If you celebrate it, wishing you a very happy and healthy Jewish new year! It's 5779!  Now it's back to catching up.  Thank goodness for school. :)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

I'm staggered at the idea of 40 lbs of cucumbers. That's a lot of work. But what a sense of accomplishment for your boys, picking all that produce.

--Alison

September 6, 2018 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Yes, it was a lot of cucumbers! Actually, picking them didn't seem to be hard, sort of like a treasure hunt under the vine leaves. It was a sunny breezy cool day and nobody got tired doing it...but gosh, I am tired from canning it!

September 6, 2018 at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home