Sunday, March 17, 2019

Agreeing to disagree

The Jewish Independent in Vancouver just ran my piece:
Respecting minority opinions
(Yes, some Winnipeggers may disagree with it.  That's fine.  Civil disagreement is an essential part of Jewish texts and tradition and a cornerstone of democracy, right?!)

What else is going on?  My kids have a couple of weeks of disruption coming up, spring break and other events...posts may be thin on the ground over here.

On the learning front:
If you live in Winnipeg, I attended an amazing interfaith learning event on March 11th, and it's part of a 4 part Monday evening series --Interfaith Dialogue on Truth and Reconciliation.  Due to the constraints of bedtime with twins, I may not get to all of these lectures, but just attending the first one was deeply meaningful--a way to connect with others and discuss ways forward in supporting and connecting with Indigenous Canadians as we grapple with Canada's discriminatory past.  More than 170 people attended the first event.  It's well worth it to be there in person if you can. 

If you don't live in Canada or you're Canadian but can't get to these learning events in Winnipeg, I encourage you to google "Canada Truth and Reconciliation."  Follow some links.  You will learn a lot about Residential Schools in Canada, and the terrible inter-generational trauma that remains as a result of this horrible thing done to Indigenous families.  Winnipeg's population is 15% Indigenous. This traumatic part of our past is something that Canadians must face. We have to work together to help heal. That's the whole message -- and yes, I'm a relatively new Canadian citizen--but heck, that part doesn't matter. We're all in this together.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

That is a powerful piece of writing, and I thank you for the invitation to learn a little about Jewish tradition that I did not know. We should all aspire to live up to that tradition. Thank you.

--AlisonH

March 18, 2019 at 12:34 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Alison, thank you for your note! I am so glad that this blog offers me a chance to share my Jewish publications with my fiber arts friends, and vice versa. Thank you for reading it!

March 18, 2019 at 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home