Thursday, September 28, 2006

Archery


This is the time of year, when it's cooler, to celebrate the New Year...the High Holidays are happening. Unlike the secular New Year, on the Jewish New Year, there's a lot of time spent in reflection and with your family. The reflection focuses on how you've done as a person this past year--whether you've hit the mark, or "missed the mark"--like in archery. The mark might mean: being a good person, a good partner, a good friend--a good member of society. A person who does what they are supposed to do...the "mark" is different for each person, each year. A sentence for thinking about this was offered to me this year: I am proud of this accomplishment... and I hope to accomplish this ....next year. Implied in this is--we did some things well. There are other things we need to do better. For me, I find this thoughtfulness every year useful...sort of an ancient formula for goal setting.

My friend Kate accomplished something monumental this week--she had her third baby! Although I couldn't make it to Boston to celebrate with her family, I did manage to make a big sister sweater. This is made out of a tape yarn that is machine washable, and it just so happens that my friend's two older girls are roughly the same size this year. Here's one big sister sweater for both of them to share...it's in the mail. To give you an idea of this sweater's size? 24 inch chest-- Big sisters are so small sometimes!

Our garden is beginning to wind down, but we're still getting a few cukes a week, beans, basil, and other goodies. The Jerusalem Artichoke flowers are out, and the sunflower is beginning to droop. It's feeling like fall.

I've returned from my spinning hiatus with a vengeance. 8 skeins of Cotswold/silk are now waiting for me to set twist, add mordant, and pop them into the dyepot. I see garnet and marigold yellow in their future.
I've also finished the proposal thingee for work--37 pages in two weeks--and early responses to it are sounding good. Woooweee! I'm pleased with some of the things I've accomplished in my "work by myself" work life this year...a new website and a whole new way to sell my designs. I'm also proud of
adopting Sally last November. She has learned so much this year. She's gone from being a scared girl who hid under a car at the animal shelter, a dog who wasn't housetrained and didn't understand leashes, to being a real model bird dog. She's quick-witted, bright, and cautious. She barks at the door, sits at street corners, and takes care of business--outside. Most importantly, she knows she's safe, and loved. Harry the dog really needed his own pet! Harry loves Sally so much that he taught her about leashes himself by leading her around the house with the leash in his mouth.

What do I wish for the new year, 5767? I want to build stronger relationships with family and friends. These bonds can be strained by distances and differences, and I'd like to do better at maintaining ties to new friends, and old. Whatever your faith, have a happy, healthy, productive and full year. Happy New Year, Ramadan Mubarak, and Enjoy Autumn!

2 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Happy New Year!

September 28, 2006 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Happy New year! I hope you enjoy time with family:-)

September 29, 2006 at 5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home