Tuesday, October 03, 2006

marigolds



We planted marigolds in the garden to help ward off bugs, and it might have worked. (I mean, think of how much worse the bugs would have been if we hadn't planted them!) However, since I'm a fiber junkie, I couldn't just imagine planting marigolds for their pyrethrin. Oh no. So, on Friday, I threw those Cotswold/silk worsted weight single yarns into the marigold golden dyepot. I also used two packets of garnet colored dye, Putnam brand, for the curious. I am just itching to start knitting with this stuff. I haven't decided on a stranded knitted pattern or a slip-stitch one yet, but I see a v-neck garnet sweater with yellow twining patterns up the body, with matching cuffs in my future...or at least in my daydream knitting!

The yellow marigold dye is really rich and happy looking, even if it's a bit washed out in these photos. For those who've seen my car, well, it's not that yellow, but it is a cheery shade.

The bit of fluff you see there is part of that caramel/gray fleece that I showed in the last post. This 1 lb bit is now dyed everything from black cherry to dusty pink, in fabulous variegated style. I used the same garnet dye as on the white Cotswold/silk yarn. Now I just have to dye the rest of the fleece, and all the lovely colors will be sent off to the processors for picking and carding. I have my eye on silver and green for the rest of the fleece, but if you have other color coordinating ideas, let me know...if I have the color in my stash, I'm happy to have suggestions for the dyepot. Who knows what I'll get with such a dark and rich fleece?

Heck, please leave a comment even if you don't have a yen for color! Every so often, I get an email, but in general, my readers are a secretive bunch. I'd love to have you come out of the woodwork and mingle.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely soft colour. My marigold experiments have given me really bright goldish yellow. It is amazing the different results we can all get just from minor differences in water/method/mordanting/etc..
How wonderful that you tried it and got such a nice result.

October 3, 2006 at 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how many marigolds did it take for a skein? I'm bummed - that skein looks like a natural white on my screen! I'll look again tomorrow at work, see if I get yellow.

October 3, 2006 at 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful spinning and beautiful dyeing, Joanne. I can hardly wait to see what colors your creativity and the dark fleece cook up. It's bound to be rich.
I enjoyed reading about the fair. I like barns and animals too. You gave this city-bound gal a good sheepie fix. Thanks.

October 3, 2006 at 10:03 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Very pretty! My last dyeing experiment was a bit underwhelming so I'm holding off going there again...

October 4, 2006 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Ooohhh - gorgeous garnets. I love how it veers a bit towards the plum. I'm with Kerry, more yellow please!

October 4, 2006 at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home