Sunday, March 02, 2008

moldy tin whistle, anyone?

The professor went down to the basement yesterday to find some old photo albums. These should never have been in our (damp) basement to begin with, but then, I didn't unpack those boxes when we moved, 5 years ago...ahem. OK, back to the story. I was sitting on the second floor when I heard the tentative notes from a whistle or recorder. The professor found an exciting box of toys? He's not much of a musician, but the little toots and squeaks floated up, up through the basement, past the first floor, and into my second floor office by way of the heating vents. He was having fun. Tweet. Toodle Toodle. Squawk.

When he came upstairs, he plopped down some books and albums and we took a tour down memory lane. As one might imagine, the professor started taking photos early (he's shot the photos for my book, and I knew he had years of prior experience.) So, I saw blurry shots of his playground friends in elementary school, including the friend I mentioned in the last post, and the famous "turkey series." His family has a vacation place in upstate New York, and a neighbor kept turkeys and other farmyard pets. He was fascinated with those turkeys, but his mom wouldn't let him cross the road. Just imagine all those turkey photos! Doesn't that make you smile? Gawky elementary school kid, camera, and lots of funny turkey pictures?

Sadly, some of the books let so much mildew and mold into the air that I've had a bit of an asthma problem. Caffeine helps me breathe when I feel this way. Nothing that, say, an entire pot of green tea and a greek coffee for dinner couldn't fix, but I was up late!

This photo's a montage of some of the swatches I have around. I've been going wild on the swatch design front, and enjoying it. The pin is one of Rosemary's works of art. Now that the book photos are largely finished, I'll have to send back all the loaned pins. I'm having a hard time picking out the ones I want to buy and keep!

I found all your notes in the last post very reassuring regarding the blathering problem. I guess even beautiful, self-assured knitters, that I admire, have this happen to them! Now, on to a question about fiber festivals, also asked...

As you might imagine, I made quite a tour of the festival world last spring, summer and fall for my book research. I don't need to purchase, say, one more thing. However, I still love festivals, and in 2009, I'll try to go to a lot of them, as I'll want to promote my book, which should be available for sale in early 2009. What to do between now and then? My plan is to begin teaching at some festivals, if I can afford to make it happen. So, if you have a festival in mind, and you'd like to invite me to teach there, do drop me a line. (my first name AT joanneseiff.com is the email address!) Otherwise, I'll go to one here and there as the mood strikes, and if I can control myself. Like, after I've spun and knitted up about 25 lbs of fiber?!

I'll leave you with a bit of something I read in the NY Times fashion section. This Fashion Diary, written by Guy Trebay, remarks on the staying power of a 26 year old model. (Twenty-Six, DID YOU HEAR THAT? Over the Dang Hill! I'm so past it. )

"Why has she lasted so long?" a Vogue editor remarked on Tuesday (speaking anonymously, for fear of going off message and being banished to a job at a knitting catalog)."

PS: Amen for knitting catalogs. May we all graduate to one. Before age 16, for instance, and after age 26? (some of us, myself included, were there all along, and proud of it.)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI: It was NOT a tin whistle! It was a plastic recorder that was given to me in my first grade music class with Mr. Curly. I was trying to remember how much of "Hot Cross Buns" I could remember to play. The answer: 6 notes. The 7th note is a sharp and I couldn't remember the fingering... I was always much better at xylophone in Mr. Curly's class anyway. In case all of you are wondering, no I do not have a xylophone in the basement. If I did, Joanne would have heard me playing it yesterday, perhaps while playing the recorder at the same time. Such musical interludes help with one's mental preparations for looking at archival photographs of turkeys.

The Professor

March 2, 2008 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Right. I stand corrected. Sorry about that. Snort. Snert. Giggle.

March 2, 2008 at 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did the turkeys cross the road? To avoid the kid with the camera. (Sorry; I couldn't resist.)

March 2, 2008 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah Jean said...

Ah, the Professor makes an appearance! *claps hands gleefully* Hee. Men are quite funny when they're indignant. =P

March 2, 2008 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Karen Johnson said...

Mental preparations for looking at archival photos of turkeys??? I salute Joanne's snort snert! Very amusing defense.

March 2, 2008 at 11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it!

March 3, 2008 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger ilana said...

i've seen those turkeys, or at least their great great grandturkeys! irresitable to photography.
this post inspired me to go digging through some old photos too. i found a great one i plan to send you soon.

March 4, 2008 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

I love the image of all that 'music' making its way up through the heating vents. :)

March 6, 2008 at 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home