Friday, August 20, 2010

on the radio

One of my lovely blog commenters said something like "Gosh I'd be nervous if I were interviewed on TV/radio, etc.!" You know, I'd be nervous too if I'd known it was going to happen... In Neepawa, it all just happened to me in the 15 minutes before and after the class I taught. I didn't have a chance to get nervous. Then I actually had an opportunity to get nervous this week--and I forgot!

Several months ago, I sent an informal email (about knitting, of course) to someone at a radio station in Virginia. The announcer contacted me once or twice, and we set up a time to talk. I even put it on my office calendar.

Yes, but how often did I look at the calendar? Not very often, of course, because for the last 2 weeks, there were 2 sets of guests on the 3rd story of my house, so I "decamped" and didn't use my 3rd floor office so I wouldn't get in their way. Yesterday, the last set of guests left. (More on that in a bit...)

Today I was grading engineering graduate student papers--at 20 minutes or more for an academic level paper, it takes a while-- and the phone rang. There was that radio announcer. He said we'd go live in 2 minutes.

"Huh," I thought and looked at the calendar. Oh. Right.

If you want to hear what I sound like on the radio, here's the link. It wasn't a long interview, thank goodness. I'll be curious to hear what you thought of it. Cause, you know, if I'd remembered that I was going to be on the radio? I might have gotten nervous.

About those guests...my wonderful Professor and I just looked at the most recent water bill. It covered the months of May, June and July.

"Gosh," he says, looking worried and surprised. "Our water usage has gone up!"

There was a long pause then. "Do you think, " I ventured, "It might be those 11 guests we had between May and mid-August?"

Oh yeah. It might be that.... :)

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Geri said...

You did a great job on the 'impromptu' radio show. There's a lot to be said for not having time to get nervous.

Will you be going to the NY Sheep and Wool Festival @ Rhinebeck?

August 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home