Monday, May 21, 2007

secret knitter


Just like Rosemary, I suspect I will be doing much stealth knitting over the next few months to make this big project work. Since I can't show you exactly what I'm knitting, I'll leave you with sneak peeks. This is some Barefoot Spinner superwash wool yarn that knits up at 7 sts to the inch. I suspect one might be able to ask about it at Millicent's, a yarn shop my mom likes in Western Maryland. What I like most about this yarn is that I'm not working from two different balls to make the colors even out--they are balanced, and absolutely rich. (hard to see in the photo.) I also like that the colors match my clothes perfectly, although I am not sure I'll ever get to wear this item myself!
(Let me preface this next part by mentioning--the exchange rate for Americans in Britain right now is very bad, the pound is worth over 2 dollars.) The professor came home from Britain yesterday, after having subsisted completely on fish and chips, take away Indian and sandwiches and the kindness of an old grad school friend and his wife. I suspect that he ate them out of house and home when he visited them overnight! I say this because I picked him up from the airport, offered him a granola bar, and worried that he might eat my arm on the drive home. We finally stopped at a Japanese restaurant in our neighborhood for a late lunch. The sheer amounts he consumed left me astonished. I will spare you the details or any photos of this experience. At least it was healthy food. Now I realize why he lost a lot of weight when he lived in the UK. The portions are small, the exercise opportunities are greater, and well, the man really likes to eat. I imagined him thinking "Here, fishy fishy fishy fishy..." as he hoped to attract more sushi to the table. He was seriously beyond hungry!
One last note in the life of a secret knitter. (note, this is NOT like a private dancer...) For anyone remotely local to my area of Kentucky, there is a not so secret, very public Sunday Spinners group meeting at the Kentucky Museum. The dates for the 2007-2008 academic year have been set:
The Sunday Spinners will meet the second Sunday of the month witht hree exceptions, August 19, December 16 & May 18. So Aug 19, Sept 9,Oct 14, Nov 11, Dec 16, Jan 11, Feb 10, March 9, April 13, May 18 from 1-4 in Felts Log House outdoors if weather permits, or ed room (inside the museum) as an alternate.
If you're a spinner,y'all please come, y'hear?
And Now, after this public service message, back to our regularly scheduled, secret knitting program, with interruptions for regular and frenetic emailing...!

5 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

I'm glad the professor arrived safely and I'm really, really sorry that the exchange rate forced him to the brink of starvation, but it means I can afford to buy some of the yarns/fibres you Americans keep blogging about! So I'm not completely sorry.
Sorry...

May 21, 2007 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Sarah, I'm so glad that you're benefiting from the exchange rates! The professor did just fine--he could stand to be a little hungry every now and again. I was just shocked by what he ate when we got home! No need to be sorry, it's not as if you or I control the exchange rates, right? (is there some conspiracy I didn't know about?!)

May 21, 2007 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

Oooooh. Pretty yarn!

May 21, 2007 at 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish that I could pop over and join you for a spin. I love the way your secret knitting yarn turning out.

May 22, 2007 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

You sure are keeping busy these days! And the secret knitting peek looks very pretty. :)

May 22, 2007 at 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home