Tuesday, December 11, 2007

inward focus

One result of feeling too sick to do anything other than sit on the couch? A lot of mindless knitting... Here are the plain black mittens, as requested by my sister-in-law. This was probably 10 hours of knitting pleasure, knitted in Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran, and I squished it down to sizes 3(3.25mm) and5(3.75mm) dpns to be extra warm. I hope she wears them for lots of fun snow ball fights and other winter adventures.

Hanukah is winding down and my big effort, dinner for all the professor's lab research students and their guests, went well. It just about made me keel over (taking down dishes from the top shelf of our breakfront for 14 while having a fever? bad idea) but we'd been planning it for months, the professor helped a lot, and all had fun. Every single student came, and left smiling after loading up on dinner, doughnuts, chocolate gelt, and dreidl fun. I spent all weekend resting afterwards.

I'm still fighting some sort of infection, and have been told by the gynecologist that if I don't get better after this bout of antibiotics, I should see my primary care physician. She's apparently done treating me. I've never had a doctor just wash her hands of me in quite this way before. (ahh, healthcare in KY!) Luckily, I like my primary care physician and if things don't improve, I'll see him next week. I'm stunned that when I called her office, saying, uhh, I'm 6 days into antibiotic #2 and things haven't improved? The result was an adult version of "stop bothering me with your questions." Hmph.

Good news, I got my first advance check from the publisher yesterday! This means I can soon pay my bills for this Fiber Gathering book, like paying the designers who have contributed. Gone are the days when an advance would be useful for things like keeping a writer fed and warm! In my case, when I receive the whole advance, it will just about cover this book's expenses. That will be breaking even--no salary this year from this project. I'll hope everyone and her sisters buy copies of the book instead. It's essentially a business investment in my future career.

Another present that came in the mail: Yarns for me to swatch. Every year, members of the Association of Knitwear Designers are offered an opportunity to volunteer for this. TNNA, a big trade organization for the knitting industry, has industry conventions which feature the "Great Wall of Yarn." Yarn companies pay to have their yarns featured, and send in yarns to be displayed. I get the chance to see some of the new yarns, knit up small samples, and possibly make connections in the industry. I'm not a member of TNNA itself (can't afford that business decision just now) and have yet to make a firm industry relationship this way, but I love playing with the yarns. This year? I've got all natural fibers, including two organic wools. Fun work knitting ahead, and I can tell you all about it!


The professor's giving his Genetics students their final exam at very this moment. Soon he will be able to work at home more during winter break, or in the completely empty Biology department. This time period will include frequent rests with Harry while they consult the 2008 seed catalogs. This is one of his wintertime hobbies. It gives him something to do in the dead quiet we face this time of the year, which we often work right through. We've had a super Hanukah this year--it's a pretty lowkey holiday--and it'll be over by tomorrow night.

Remember to say hey every so often! I see you're visiting but don't get many comments..keep me company over here, 'kay?

6 Comments:

Blogger SueJ said...

Really sorry that you are sick. Cuddle your dogs (& maybe the prof????!!!), curl up on the sofa & knit something that makes you smile. Don't take any nonsense from the healthcare profesionals either!

December 11, 2007 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Hope you are feeling better. I finished my antibiotics on Friday, and am just beginning to feel better, but it is not helping me that the outside temp is 75 degrees. Arrgh, I guess it is better than freezing like I was last week. Happy Holidays! DH is sick too, he is on a different antibiotic.

December 11, 2007 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger Deborah Robson said...

Once I had to INSIST that the doctor see me because I knew something was up, even though when the nurses on the front desk ran me through their triage questionnaire on the phone their response to my set of answers was, "You're fine, don't worry." When I DID get in, the doctor about had a fit because I *did* need to be seen. You know what you need. Go see the other guy.

December 11, 2007 at 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, Joanne, go see your doctor! If you're still sick and the one who's been treating you isn't listening, you need another health professional who will pay attention and take you and your symptoms seriously. (I work in a specialty ... and I tell my patients this when their primary care providers aren't listening and I think they should be.) Good luck -- I hope you feel better soon!
--Lisa

December 11, 2007 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Where fibers meet mud said...

hope you feel better. Enjoy the end of Hanukkah.

And the peace and quiet you have coming your way.

Infections take a while to scoot - drink plenty of water.

Are you Northern KY or Southern KY as I am a new reader to your blog...

December 12, 2007 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh my - such a lovely post with all kinds of photos. I like thinking of you wrapped up in knitting with new yarn. Not the illness bit tho - I hope you get right in to your primary care.

I'm here - I'm reading. I'll do better on commenting!!

December 12, 2007 at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home