Friday, May 29, 2009

*The stars*


Last night, the stars were aligned properly, and our bid was --considered-- for this house. Then it was countered, and well, it worked out. We have a house..in Winnipeg. It's amazing to consider, in this time of recession, that while we were the only bid, we still are paying $15,000 over the asking price. A crazy seller's market. (apparently, everyone is still moving to Winnipeg. Who knew?) Last night I was sort of grouchy about how it worked out, but today, I feel happy because we have a home to move to. Good. (moving estimates? check. House to go to? check....) I love the details and woodwork in this house. There's a second story study with built-in bookshelves. Perfect for a professor! Perfect for a writer!
There's also a big beautiful living room with more built-in bookshelves. The house was built in 1912. It's in a good neighborhood, but on a busy corner. (I stole these photos from a listing online. My furniture is not white!) No house is perfect, but right now--it's good.
Meanwhile, after we put in the offer, I knitted a lot and tried to stay calm about it all. I'm having a rough time with "calm" about now--just have too many balls in the air at once...and I'm terrible at juggling more than, say 3 at a time! Everyone has their limits.
The proofs continue, and if you remember, this is how I felt the last time I proofread a book too. I had just as hard a time with Fiber Gathering...only I didn't have quite so much going on.
To help myself to cope, I roasted two chickens last night and baked a peach/blackberry pie. Cooking calms me down. The fruit came from the freezer so the pie was a little bit runny. Hey, I have to empty that freezer out, right? So, I ate a hunk of chicken for dinner...and then I ate pie. For dessert. Then for breakfast, too. I'm considering more, actually, as a snack...It's good pie.
Sadly, the farmer is still in the hospital. My grandmother is in another hospital. I've got a lot "on my plate" right now in the worrying department. So, I took a break from proofreading this afternoon (face it, I've been procrastinating a ton this time and the deadline is coming up!) and checked out my horoscope, I read this sort of thing recreationally. Here's what it said:

May 29, 2009
Capricorn (12/22-1/19)
If you are in the middle of negotiating any business deals right now, it's not going to be an easy day. You'll encounter lots of back and forth and lots of small print. Others may be too demanding in terms of a timeline, so you'll have to push back on deadlines as hard as you can. The best part of your day will be later in the afternoon, when you see a light at the end of the tunnel and can spend some time with a person who always puts a smile on your face.
Hmmm.
Doing business? (check.)
back and forth and lots of small print? (buying a house? proofreading?--check.)
deadlines? (moving? book deadlines? check.)
The professor flies home this evening. (light at the end of the tunnel? Check.)
Hmm. The stars must be aligned...I'm waiting for the smiling part. I need a smile about now!

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Congrats on the house! And yay for breakfast pie too! See, I told you.

May 29, 2009 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

Well, good for you on the house! This is really exciting.

You do have a lot on your plate right now. Cook on!

May 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Mary G said...

Congrats on the house ... it's lovely (and reminds me a bit of the old Durham house!). We too are moving this summer ... thank God the house in Denver FINALLY sold ... and we are running into a lady who thinks it's a seller's market but she's coming around to our ways ....

Blessings and what a great place to immerse in your muses!

May 30, 2009 at 6:34 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Congrats on the new house! It looks like a great one!

May 30, 2009 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

The house is beautiful! Good job. :)

May 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I'm jumping up and down with you in joy for the house in Winnipeg! Such a gorgeous historic Craftsman. Does it have a cottage garden? Kitchen garden? Herb garden? Renovating half our house this summer is almost like moving. Chaos abounds. But it will be worth it.

May 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM  
Anonymous AlisonH said...

You GOT it!!! YAY!!!

May 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

I'm a Cappy too :)
That's a beautiful home. I luv older homes because they have so much character. You will appreciate the fireplaces in the winter and your woolies (personally I luv my alpaca)!!

May 31, 2009 at 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Bonnie said...

I've got the farmer and the grandmother in my thoughts.

The house looks gorgeous! Jealous of those book shelves!

May 31, 2009 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great house! Congrats!

June 1, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home