Thursday, August 13, 2009

I'm a lefty

Well, I can't let this day pass without comment. Yes, there is a day, once a year, for Left Handers. We're good folk. We're smart, creative, quirky and rare. (but that's just my opinion...)

It's sunny and hot here. I let the professor loose yesterday while we shopped and we came home with 4 lbs of British Columbia apricots and crab apples from a tree right near his university department. Yup. you guessed it. 17 or so cups of jam later, we've got our apricot jam and crab apple jam covered. We both sort of egg each other on when it comes to foraging for food. This winter, we will be happy. Today, I am so tired from this frenzied fruit canning thing that I'm getting worrid I won't be able to stand up again when I'm done with the computer.

Fun observations about Winnipeg?:
At a Manitoba Crafts Museum and Library gathering yesterday, I was welcomed to Winnipeg...by someone who moved here in May. It's never too early to be welcoming!

I was also invited to dinner on Saturday night by someone I'd met just a few minutes before. It's never too soon to be hospitable.

When we were picking the crab apples off a tree in a university parking lot? A groundskeeper came by. The professor and I both tensed, worried we'd get in trouble. "Ohhh!" he smiled. "those are going to be tart!" It's never too weird to forage for fruit or feel included in a little excitement about fruit and jam. (and no one thought we were doing something wrong or being weird.)

Today I stopped by Wolseley Wardrobe --a spur of the moment visit. In the back, there was a one on one knitting lesson going on, and I heard one young woman explaining how she met her boyfriend/husband/partner to the teacher. It was sweet and romantic, even if I shouldn't be listening. There was great clothing, a little artsy and over the top, things that I love wearing but felt too self-conscious about sometimes in Kentucky. That was including a brand new April Cornell blouse I came home with, for $20CDN. I was welcomed and spurred on by the clerk, who recognized who I was. It's never to late to encourage someone else into an impulsive and fun purchase...or to recognize kindred souls in the funky flowery clothing department... now I just have to find the big earrings again. :)

I walked straight by the Tall Grass Prairie Bread Company and I was so restrained, even with all those warm cinnamon buns in the window! I was so restrained that I rewarded myself with a warm cinnamon bun, sourced from my freezer, when I got home. (It's never too late to eat that cinnamon bun, and to freeze it to eat later?!)

Smile! It's sunny and hot in Winnipeg!

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Donna D said...

Nice to see happiness in Canada! :-)

Donna

August 13, 2009 at 6:16 PM  
Blogger Mary G said...

Hey, I didn't know there was a left-handers day! Dh, me and 2 of my 5 kids are lefties ... altho the kids switch for somethings while I'm so left-handed it gets ridiculous sometimes.

I still like the "only left handers are in their right minds" ...

So glad you're liking Canada. We love where we've moved altho I'm so busy cleaning and unpacking and settling in (and building things we need and gardening) that I'm not knitting much ... but with 95+ days, that may not be such a bad thing!

Blessings ....

August 13, 2009 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Sounds like you're fitting right in your new location!

PghC

August 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't help but notice how optimistic you've been around the blog since the move, even with corresponding moving issues! I absolutely love the stories you tell about foraging for food...I think it is wonderful and consider it an inspiration. If only I could overcome my fear of canning (although was just gifted my grandmother-in-law's canning booklet, complete with notes in the margins!).

August 13, 2009 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

You sound so very happy in Winnipeg! What a great fit for you and your Professor!

Hey, I'm left handed too! And I KNIT left handed! We lefties are all creative, smart, cute -- and funky clothing lovers!

August 13, 2009 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

And now I want to go make a batch of cinnamon rolls...

--AlisonH

August 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah Jean said...

That store sounds great! Consignment clothes + yarn = amazingness, at least for me, but then again I am a thrifting junkie. xD

August 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Life in Canada sounds good -I am so happy for all four of you!

August 17, 2009 at 3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home