Sunday, March 14, 2010

festival, anyone?

Despite my very best efforts, I haven't managed to get the Amazon website for Fiber Gathering to update for the 2010 festivals listed in the book yet...I think there is a delay on posting new material there. Since festival season (and spring!) will be coming soon, I wanted at to post these here. If you don't see one of the festivals listed in the book here on the 2010 list, it's because either that festival no longer is being put on--sad, but true--or the dates are still unclear. If I hear more, I will promise to pass it along to you.

Remember, these are only a very few of the marvelous festivals out there! Make sure to check your area first, as festivals are wonderful, no matter what size. If you're wondering why this post is somewhat brief, scroll down...

Here's the list:

2010 Fiber Festivals mentioned in Fiber Gathering
Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival
May 1st & 2nd, 2010
Howard County Fairgrounds
2210 Fairground Road
West Friendship, MD 21794

New York Sheep and Wool Festival
October 16th & 17th, 2010
Dutchess County Fairgrounds
6550 Spring Brook Avenue
Rhinebeck, NY 12572

New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival
May 8th & 9th, 2010
Hopkinton State Fairgrounds
392 Kearsarge Avenue
Contoocook, NH 03229

Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair
October 22nd, 23rd, & 24th, 2010
WNC Ag Center
1301 Fanning Bridge Road
Fletcher, NC 28732

Michigan Fiber Festival
August 21st & 22nd, 2010
Allegan County Fairgrounds
150 Allegan County Fair Drive
Allegan, MI 49010

Black Sheep Gathering
June 18th, 19th, & 20th, 2010
Lane County Fairgrounds
796 W. 13th Avenue
Eugene OR 97402

Estes Park Wool Market
June 12th & 13th, 2010
500 Big Thompson Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517

The Wool Festival at Taos
October 2nd & 3rd, 2010
Kit Carson Park
Paseo del Pueblo Norte
Taos, NM 87571

PS: Thanks so much for all your empathy and kind moral support last week! I've been reassured by several local friends (who fondled the rugs) that there is indeed a market here for my fiber art. I will need to go to the more artsy festivals, fairs and shops. In the meanwhile, they told me to keep weaving, build up my stock, and not to worry about it too much! The market, they say, might just come to me.

PPS: This weekend the professor is rewiring part of the living fixtures with a colleague of his. I've been told the electricity will be shut off at some point, so I've posted in a rush. I will post "before" and "after" lighting photos later. The goal here is to make the living room brighter at night, so that knitting and reading, for instance, can happen without squinting in the dim corners of the room! His colleague is a cheery, capable person who has already rewired the fixtures in his new house, as his family didn't like the ones there originally. Apparently, this isn't exclusively an "older house" problem. In the meanwhile, I'm off to spin, weave or knit--all things I can do without electricity. :)

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Willow said...

How I'd love to get to Black Sheep in Eugene this year! Are there any fiber festivals in California??

March 14, 2010 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

For a really thorough list of fiber "events"--not just festivals, check out this event schedule on Knitter's Review:

http://www.knittersreview.com/upcoming_events.asp

Yes, there are loads of festivals, many more than I have ever attended, including many in California!

March 14, 2010 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger AdrieneJ said...

There is a fibre festival here in Alberta you might want to attend if you get the chance. It's at the end of June - Olds Fibre Week. It'll be my first festival, so I'm super excited!

March 15, 2010 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I've already scheduled my vacation around the NY Sheep & Wool Festival this year. I tried last year, but things fell through. Cross your fingers for me...all the way through Oct!!

March 15, 2010 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Jame said...

Thanks for the link to Knitter's Review. I've just sent in a request to list the Carolina Fiber Festival May 21-23 in Raleigh, NC. This is a festival in its infancy, and I'd love for it to get up and running. I'll be doing some demonstrations on support spindling and spinning with cotton.

March 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely love the Fiber Gathering book! I go to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival almost every year and will go this year as a new spinner. Reading about all the festivals were exciting and the photos were great-thanks, Prof! I will treasure this book forever and rely on it often for motivation.

March 24, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home