Friday, September 03, 2010

September--already?!

I've really enjoyed all your canning and preserving comments so I am going to keep the theme going here.

This week, I made cornichon flavored pickles. Seven pints of them. I didn't have little tiny gherkins so instead I sliced up yellow lemon cucumbers and enormous, size of your arm, killer green cucumbers and pickled those. In fact, I felt sure that if I didn't get those huge cucumbers cut up and into jars they would become the superhuman monster cucumbers that took over Winnipeg and killed us all in the middle of the night. You know, so I made more pickles. (Yes, I am scared of vegetable monsters. I think a zucchini the size of a baseball bat might come out of a closet and kill me sometime, and I don't even like zucchini all that much.)

I felt ahead. I felt calm. Then Thursday came, time to pick up more veggies as part of my farm share, and my friend said--"Oh, my in-laws gave me these apples." Right. Some apples...think two enormous shopping bags' worth. I love apples, so she gave them to me. Today I made 6 pints of spiced apple sauce, and earlier in the week I made pie with some other apples someone gave us and....I feel a little out of control. We still have a full bag and a third of these apples left, and no room in the refrigerator.

In order for this to be a knitting blog, I need to post photos of knitting. Most of the knitting I do is top secret or if not top secret, maybe just boring. However, my desk looks about how I feel right now...this is only part of my desk, too. Every surface sort of looks like this. A little disorganized, but clearly a work in progress. A clutter work in progress, perhaps?

Last night in bed, the Professor and I were talking about all this. I haven't quite calmed down yet from teaching every day, so I guess I'm on warp speed. I mean, today I baked 4 loaves of challah, canned 6 pints of apple sauce, wrote the draft of an article (1000 words), vacuumed some, walked the dogs...it's a little much still. I kept saying, in my conversation with him, how I just needed to, ummm, get things a little calmer. more organized. Like, I want to settle down soon, you know?

"I understand," he said. "Do you think that you'll feel better when everything in the house is organized into little jars on shelves in the basement?"

Funny, huh? The sad part? Yes, I just might. Unfortunately, my first concern was that we might run out of jars. Time for a long weekend, you think?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Geri said...

I love the clutter on your desk! ...The sign of a true 'artiste'. Mine looks the same, BTW.

September 4, 2010 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Sounds busy busy busy! Take a break- after the whirl of our return to school & a really busy month ahead I have just been able to write a 12 point 'to do list' for today (& that's just school stuff!) without too much panic because we took a 24 hour 'pass' to go up to the northern dales in the camper. We had a lovely time & batteries are back up to full. You have just prompted me to put some stuff on a domestic 'to do' list, starting with bread making & apple muffins!

September 5, 2010 at 1:54 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

I love organizing things....

I need to learn how to can. The apple sauce sounds amazing!

September 6, 2010 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger Deborah Robson said...

Once you're through spinning yourself, maybe spinning some yarn would be in order. It doesn't sound like you are in a yarn-spinning place at this exact moment, but it does sound like you'll be eating well this winter!

September 7, 2010 at 5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home