Friday, January 14, 2011

take the weather

Everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you...
--Crowded House

This song is racing through my head. I think it doesn't entirely make sense but I'm going with it...

A few days ago, I went on an adventure with our resident student. (Sadly, she is not in residence anymore, but went home yesterday...I missed her presence right after she left!) The adventure involved going to Value Village to hunt up wool sweaters. It's harder than one might think to buy 100% wool sweaters in Kentucky. Winter in Kentucky gets cold, definitely below freezing, including snow and ice on rare occasions, but for some reason, retailers and consumers there don't think that people need natural fiber gear for winter.

Our visiting student needed serious winter clothing for her visit, so we gifted her with several wool sweaters and went to shop for more. Then, another friend of mine in Northern Kentucky sent in a request--would we shop for her, too? In the end, I washed and sent our student home with an extra suitcase and something like 12 fabulous natural fiber sweaters from Winnipeg thrift shops. Our student also received 3 sweaters as gifts from us--sweaters that were hanging around, including this one that I knit but never wore. It just didn't suit me in the end.

It was fun to shop for gorgeous wool, cashmere and silk sweaters for other people. As the professor has pointed out, I have more enough sweaters, so this was a good excuse to sweater shop for others!

Today is the day I prepare for my trip. I haven't actually flown anywhere since May--and that is a long time for me to go between trips. I've missed travelling. At the same time, I am finding packing hard this time around. Never mind the belly, which changes from day to day, I am confused about how to pack for the temperatures we'll experience in Virginia and Florida.

I likely won't need my winter boots on this trip. (I wear winter boots every single time I go outside here in Winnipeg from November through April) Right, that makes sense, but we've got several feet of snow on the ground here, so I just will wear shoes with good tread to the airport. What about sweaters? What weight jacket do you wear when the predicted low is -10F (-23C) tomorrow here and 29F (-2C) there?

No matter how hard I think about it or sing the Crowded House song, I don't take the weather with me! I take my Winnipeg adjusted body temperatures and ideas about the weather and hopefully my clothing, assuming my suitcase gets there. So, yeah, no wonder I'm confused. To think that I lived about 20 years in Virginia...and I can't remember the winter weather there. Sort of interesting.

So, if you feel the weather is snowy and cold where you are, you're probably right. If you were wondering if it is cold in Virginia right now, well, yes, they think it is. It is MUCH colder here. All things being equal, I'm quite sure my relatives would prefer I do not take the weather with me. :)

How much snow do you have right now? What's the temperature!? (Celsius or Fahrenheit?) What's cold where you live?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Willow said...

According to weatherbug, it is 66F here in my Southern California town. The sun is shining. If the temperatures hit 40F we all start moaning and groaning about the horrible cold weather. (In our defense, I'll say that our homes are not well insulated and our bodies are simply adjusted to mediterranean weather.) Having lived in Illinois and at the equator, I know that we all have our own ideas of what's 'cold' and what's 'hot'.

January 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Cloverleaf Art and Fibre said...

Ah, that's why I could only find one wool sweater at the Sally Ann today! Have a wonderful trip Joanne. Hope you get a chance to 'blog' along the way.

January 14, 2011 at 3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coastal Maine is cold and snowy, but not incredibly so. It's down in the single digits at night and in the 20s during the day. We have about 1.5 feet of snow from this last storm. Go inland a few miles and it is quite a bit colder and *usually* snowier. This year it appears as though the coastal storms are winning!

January 14, 2011 at 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! Forgot to say, happy travels!

January 14, 2011 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger Geri said...

Here in the Greater Toronto Area it is snowing quite heavily and is -2C (27F). We've only had snow accumulations of between 2 - 6" all winter, although the city of Toronto has had a bit more.

Have a safe trip!

January 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I'm going to miss you in Sarasota by 4 days! We don't get there until that Friday.
It's 24 here in Pgh right now...but since the Steelers are behind in the play off game with the Ravens, it feels much colder!

Traveling mercies!

January 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home