Thursday, July 17, 2014

The sleepy sweaters

Time is short...the boys have summer camp in the mornings in July, but it's all me and twin three year olds every afternoon.  In August, our mother's helper will be back to help  a bit(she's away this month), but there's no camp and no preschool in August...just me, filling up the play time as best I can.  That means there's very little time for blog posts, no time for, say, complicated cooking or vacuuming up the copious amounts of dog fluff (honestly, it could be a new breed of dog!) on the floors. 

When I do have spare moments, I am mostly trying to fill them up with things that keep the household afloat, are enjoyable for someone or give us pleasure in the long run.  More on that in another post, I think...but in this one, I present:

the sleepy sweaters

Yes.  Even in summer here, we wear sweaters to bed with some frequency.  With the windows open, it can get chilly at night, and both boys throw off their covers with some frequency.  In an effort to get more sleep by helping them sleep through the night occasionally, I came up with these. 

This starts with either felted wool sweaters (from the thrift store) or cashmere ones that I bought to make into wool soakers or longies.  (Wool is very absorbent and ideal for cloth diaper covers; it is what my boys have been wearing at night for most of their lives.)  My mom helped out by making the first soakers and wool pants when the boys were born.  Some of the soakers are handknits but most are made from felted, repurposed sweaters.  The wool pants, (also called longies) worn over their clothes, were great for winter time warmth when going outside and a lot easier than getting a couple of infants into snow suits.

Over time, I got a stock pile of beautiful sweaters felted or washed and ready to go.  The professor really likes the thrift store sweater hunt!  The sleepy sweaters in my house come in two styles:

1) a long sleeveless one, sort of like a sleeveless tunic.  This goes over a short or long sleeved tee-shirt and a pair of pajama pants at bedtime.  (and underneath those pjs, we are still wearing cloth diapers and wool soakers at night.)

2) When it is really cold, in the winter, we wear long sleeve sleepy sweaters.  I repurpose felted adult sweaters or cashmere ones by hemming up the bottoms and sleeves so they fit my (still pretty small) three year olds. 

Recently, the purple cashmere sleeveless sleepy sweater was deemed the "ballet sweater."  Leo, the older twin, is a great fan of dancing.  He particularly enjoys twirling and stomping in his sleepy sweater before bed.

I began to get worried because this particular sleepy sweater was looking a bit ragged. When would I fix it and where would I find another perfect purple (CASHMERE!|) sleepy sweater?

I had a very lucky helper.  My friend Rachel, who owns Wolseley Wardrobe, a local consignment shop, kept her eye out for the perfect sweater.  The stars aligned and we just landed a second, long sleeved cashmere purple BALLET sleepy sweater.  Hurray! 

I get enormous pleasure out of seeing my guys cozy and ready for sleep, outfitted in woollies made or repurposed just for them.  It is time well-spent because sometimes, just sometimes, I get to sleep 5-6 hours in a row when they both are warm and comfy enough to sleep through the night at the same time.

I took advantage of a sunny morning to air these out and I wanted to share it with you.  Hope you can imagine the twin ballet dancers twirling here. 
PS: I am wondering if the blog is something I should keep doing? If you are reading, why do you read?  Are you a longtime reader?  Would you like me to post something different?  I just read this article and wonder if I've missed the boat on blogging.  Should I have made mine into something money making?  Is it time to let it go completely, as I cannot update it weekly anymore?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Freyalyn said...

Well, I enjoy reading what you and your family are up to - it's so very different from my own home life. But more dogs would be good!

July 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also enjoy reading your blog. I especially like it because of the infrequency of your posts. Some of the blogs that I follow post several times a week and I rarely get to read them all. However, yours is one that I definitely read every time I see a new post.

July 17, 2014 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Josee said...

I wouldn't base my decision on that article but on what's important to you (time expended, subject matter, etc.). I enjoy checking in on your blog and have done so for at least the past 3 or 4 years. It's thanks to you that I attended my first ever fibre festival (@ the St. Norbert Farmer's Market last September) or read your articles. I'd miss you if you stopped blogging though.

July 21, 2014 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Ruit Farm North said...

Even though you don't post regularly, I still look forward to hearing about your life and your knitting and designing. I still blog 3 times a week or so, but I have loved adding Instagram. It's a different way to interact with folks, and I think it is what I always wanted Facebook to be, interesting images that show us where we are every so often in our lives. Maybe I am a digital old fogey, but I don't mind!

July 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Joanne - One of the reasons I enjoy your blog is that it is NOT a money-maker. It is just you, sharing life openly and honestly. It doesn't matter that you are not posting regularly. I know that between posts, a great deal of real life is happening! This post about repurposing knits is wonderful - great ideas for those who don't knit, but want the benefits.

August 9, 2014 at 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home