Monday, May 04, 2009

firsts...and new horizons

Wow, it's been a whirlwind trip so far! My first official book talk happened on Thursday night, and it was fabulous. Forty or so folks showed up and it was a sweet mix of people. Some were the mothers of elementary and religious school classmates, friends of my mom's and even--my pediatrician! Others were complete strangers who felt welcomed by our inclusive invitations. Knitters and non-knitters alike felt welcome, and I was absolutely joyful about that one. (that is part of my goal in creating an inclusive fiber arts book) I was even honored to see Shirley Waxman, a well known fiber artist who does exquisite work, in the crowd. I got a lot of hugs and kisses, heard updates about childhood friends, and had a great time.

Then it was off to Nature's Yarns on Friday--another marathon of visiting, knitting, and signing of books, this time at a really super yarn shop.

Saturday morning I got up early and went out to Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. I did informal signings (rush into a friend's booth, sign the books, and get out of the way!) so that the crowds could shop. The weather was cool, damp, but not rainy on Saturday. Good weather for a festival...and I took lots of time to visit my friends-- the shepherds and the sheep.

Last, but certainly not least, I'm celebrating another first. On Friday, in the late afternoon, we FINALLY heard that we've received official notification of my husband's new endowed professorship in Winnipeg. In preparation for our big move, I've designed these mittens as a celebration. They are called... Due North. I hope to make them available for sale soon. (#3 needles, 6 sts to the inch, and the sample mittens were knit in Green Mountain Spinnery's luscious wool/mohair blend, Green Mountain Green.)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Congratulations to you and the Professor both. I know the wait was making you slightly mad!

May 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Great news that the planned move to Canada can finally commence!

May 4, 2009 at 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Janet said...

Congratulations on talks and on visa. Funny thing...I just found out that a former coworker, who went to college in your current town, has been living in Alberta the last few years and loving it. I think he liked Bowling Green, though, so don't take it as a sign. ;-)

May 4, 2009 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

Congratulations to your Professor! It will be another new adventure for you.

May 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger ilana said...

wow. really pretty knittens!!!

May 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Congratulations!

Good things are happening!

Very nice mittens (you are going to need them!) Love the name!

May 5, 2009 at 7:24 AM  
Anonymous AlisonH said...

You are due up north and those are perfect! Congratulations! (Love the gotta-be-a-Jacob sheep picture.)

May 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Congratulations! You've been wishing and hoping for this opportunity and now it's here! You'll miss being closer to your family, but they can come visit! Knitting warm things will be a definite plus at your new home! Will be anxiously awaiting updates.

May 6, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home