Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Big big big belly

Last year, on my birthday, I thought I had lots of big news. I had a big new-to-me floor loom, for instance.

This year, the birthday news is bigger. You may remember from my posts this fall that I felt under the weather a lot...with both asthma and with nausea. I was also on a medicine that made me feel stoned and made it hard to drive.

That is because, with the help of a little technology, I am pregnant. With twins.

(Apparently, twin fetuses offer twice as many hormones--so twice as much nausea.) Yup, it's been a long haul so far.

I am celebrating tonight because the professor and our visiting resident student took me out for a birthday dinner. So far, I am even keeping it down, which is wonderful. I've learned to be grateful for small things!

These twin fetuses, formerly nicknamed Nausea & Vomit, have now been renamed. The professor objected to those nicknames, but then, he was only a helpful bystander to why I called them that! (A bystander who did the shopping, cleaning, cooking, and all sorts of other things to help me cope.) Lately I've been calling them the kugel twins, after Lokshen Kugel...one of my favorite childhood foods. Lokshen and Kugel are doing fine so far. The stork should deliver them in May or early June. Their due date is in early June, but twins often arrive early, just like I tend to do, if you know me!

Locally, people already know about this because I've already got quite a belly and have been wearing maternity pants since November now. Twin fetuses take up a lot of room! It's hard to hide such a big belly!

In order to head off any questions:
We are adhering to traditional Jewish customs and will not be announcing any names, genders, or other details before the babies are born. We're not acquiring anything for these guys until they are born healthy--so no baby shower before the big day, no nursery acquisitions, etc. Of course, if you had a big urge to knit baby clothes or soakers or longies or something for no baby in particular, well, I can't stop you...and I'll send you grateful thanks and my address in May/June!

Thanks to all of you who have been cheering quietly behind the scenes for me as I went through many years of trying to get pregnant. Thank you so much for your gentle support. I appreciate you more than you will know.

Labels: , , , ,

30 Comments:

Blogger Mary G said...

Awesome, wonderful news,Joanne! Congrats and yippee! I have another friend who is also pregnant with twins ... due in July ... and so I will add you to my first baby-twin list!

Congrats and hugs and prayers for a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery of the bundles of joy!

January 5, 2011 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Nancy Nordquist said...

Congratulations, Joanne (and the professor, too). I wish you all the very best. The only thing better than a springtime baby would be two!
Nancy

January 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Chery said...

Great news!! I've been wondering... Prayers for all of you.

January 5, 2011 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

How exciting! That's WONDERFUL news. Can't wait to see them!

January 5, 2011 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I am so happy about your news and so happy to have helped you celebrate your birthday. :) Congrats so many times.

January 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger Geri said...

Mazel tov! How exciting for you and The Professor! I can only imagine how excited you both must be. Keep us posted...

January 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

This is SO exciting! I'm very happy for you FOUR! (I'm doing an extra happy dance because my niece is also expecting twins in July!)

January 6, 2011 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger Freyalyn said...

Oh I'm so happy for all of you. How are Sally and Harry reacting?

January 6, 2011 at 2:24 AM  
Blogger dianemulholland said...

That's WONDERFUL news!! I'm so happy for you and the professor :-)

Very best wishes for the rest of the pregnancy - smooth sailing I hope! xxx

January 6, 2011 at 5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow and Mazel Tov! What a wonderful new adventure for you both. Friends of ours had twins last May and we have watched them grow with great joy. Thank you for sharing your news with us!

January 6, 2011 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh Joanne - how wonderful!! I am incredibly thrilled and happy for you both! Congratulations!!

January 6, 2011 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Karen Johnson said...

I'm so very happy for you both!!!!

January 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I am so, so, so happy for you two! No, four!

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com

January 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger dk said...

Congrats....wonderful news!!

January 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats!!!!

January 6, 2011 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Much love to you Joanne!

January 6, 2011 at 11:24 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Congratulations to you and the Professor!!

Prayers and best wishes for a healthy rest of your pregnancy and a safe delivery.

January 7, 2011 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger AdrieneJ said...

Many thousands of congratulations to you and the professor!!!

January 7, 2011 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Jame said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 7, 2011 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Jame said...

Congratulations to both of you! You have my best wishes for an uncomplicated and healthy outcome.

and Happy Birthday!

January 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Congratulations! I truly was worried about you when you were "sick" for so long. Double the reasons/excuses to spin, weave, and knit! Prayers will continue.

January 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Simply wonderful news, Joanne! Congratulations! And here's hoping the nausea stops soon. Spring...what a great time to have babies.

January 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger simply_complicated said...

Yay! that's fantastic!

Hope everything is wonderful for the rest of your trimesters, and that the babies are born healthy and beautiful.

best of luck!

January 7, 2011 at 5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! Wonderful news! May you be blessed with the ability to wonder at each day of precious development and take awe in the beauty of that which the Creator has blessed you to shelter in your womb!

January 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! Wonderful news! May you be blessed with the ability to wonder at each day of precious development and take awe in the beauty of that which the Creator has blessed you to shelter in your womb!

January 8, 2011 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger PBnJ said...

I'm so excited for you!!! Yay! (my first pregnancy was twin girls - now 13 years old :) I totally understand the big big belly... )
May your pregnancy and delivery be truly blessed! Congratulations!
PBnJ
(PBnJsFiber @ Ravelry)

January 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger Małgorzata said...

Congratulations! All the best to you and the babies. The husband, too - he will come in handy after the babies arrive. And get all the sleep you can now, because afterwards....
Hugs!

January 10, 2011 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

This is such fabulous news! (And you can tell just how behind I am at blog & FT reading) I will keep you in my thoughts daily with best wishes for a safe pregnancy & delivery.

January 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

This is wonderful news. You are doubly blessed. Babies born in the spring are especially great for the mom who doesn't have to suffer summer heat. You can just cuddle up by the fire and eat.

January 25, 2011 at 6:26 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Mazel Tov! I am so happy for you and the Professor!

February 3, 2011 at 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home