Sunday, November 21, 2010

Snow!!

Remember to leave a comment on that last blog post (the one that says "Win Something!") before Monday afternoon! I am loving the comments and enjoying hearing from all of you, including some new-to-me lurkers. Thank you so much for making me feel cheery this week with your comments. I loved reading them! One more day left...comment on!

Our weather in Winnipeg this week has been fantastic if you're a snow lover, like me. Yes, I love snow, even after living in Ithaca, NY--yearly snowfall average? 67.3"or 171 cm and Buffalo, NY--93.6" or 238cm. By comparison. I think we've gotten about 20-30 cm (8-12") in two separate snow falls this week here. This is a lot in one go for Winnipeg, according to the radio. The picture at right is one that my professor took from his laboratory window. It's the U. of Manitoba administration building--but it looks like it's in a snowglobe!

Better yet, the "asthma and allergy" portion of my health has improved immensely with the cold weather. I'm not quite fixed in the health department, but every time I step outside, I'm grateful for the weather change. No more leaf mold! Deep breaths again-- Hurray!

Inside, I'm working hard to get ready for the Handmade Holiday Sale, which is happening on Friday and Saturday this week. Since I'm still a bit, umm, mentally challenged with the antihistamine medicine I'm on, I work slowly. However, this week, I did some weaving and dyeing.

I will be selling a bunch of handspun yarn at this sale, and some of my stockpile was a very boring natural white color. I dyed all that blue yarn in the front of the stash there this week. While I was doing that, I decided to do some renovations of some of my winter woolens. Long ago, I wrote this article for Knitty, an online magazine. Each fall, I do a bit of "renovation" to make my older handknits seem fresh or interesting. This year, a white Icelandic wool hat (pattern in Fiber Gathering), a pair of plain white medium wool mittens and a handspun Rambouillet scarf cowl took a dip in the dye bath. Check out the result...brand new (old) knits!

When I was a kid, my mother always wanted my accessories to match. I've never managed the matchy matchy stuff particularly well--and this dyeing job was no exception! If you look carefully, you'll see that the cowl doesn't exactly match the hat and mitts--it's pinker. This is because they were different breeds of wool, different kinds of processing/knitting, etc. That's ok though--because I doubt I'd be able to remember to wear them all together in any case!

I also was able to finally finish this light green scarf for the sale this week. It has been a struggle, as I haven't felt up to weaving much. Even so, I forced myself to get it done, and I'm very pleased by how it came out! I combined two different yarns with very close (but not matching) spring greens. The plain weave has texture and tonality from these two yarns, and I am sure it is just right for someone. I hope that someone (whoever he or she is!) comes to the sale next weekend.

That's the fibery stuff from here. I've also managed to make a chocolate hazelnut cake for a friend's birthday, and we'll brave the un-plowed streets to see him this evening. I love snow--it makes everyday life an exciting adventure...

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Glad to hear you're starting to feel better.

Just yesterday, we both commented that the sky had that look to it, like it could start to snow at any minute. So glad it didn't. Yes, snow gets me in the holiday spirit, but I'm just not ready for it yet. (snow, not the holidays)

I like the green scarf. It will be a bright & cheery contrast to the gray weather.

November 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Jame said...

First snows are always so lovely. We have optimism here in NC that we will get some snow before spring arrives; we bought some sleds already! Last year we discovered that when you wait until it snows to get a sled, the stores will be out of them.

Glad to hear you can breath easy again. Breathing is good.

November 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger Freyalyn said...

Ooh, proper snow. If we have a winter anything like last, we might get lots of that here too. But not for a while, I think. We're still in the dank, mouldy, foggy stage - and yes, it's on my chest too. Lovely photos of woollies and snow.

November 22, 2010 at 2:39 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Glad to hear that you are breathing easier with the colder weather, but I must admit, I am glad that you are receiving the snow and not I. My guess is that because we now have a snow blower (from my father who moved and no longer needs it) that has been properly checked out to be in working order by my husband, we will not need it!

The green scarf is a lovely color. Enjoy your revitalized winter accessories!

November 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home