Monday, January 31, 2011

We interrupt this program...

I am trying so hard to have a good attitude today. Really I am. Can you see me straining over here while I try to smile?

Remember the newly painted bedroom? I posted about it here. We stalled a while when it came to moving back into the bedroom...we wanted all the paint fumes to dissipate before we slept there again. We also needed a chunk of time to get everything moved and maybe a helper to make the move easier. (I'm not moving furniture these days.)

Yesterday, while I was teaching, the professor and a friend of his moved the whole kit and kaboodle back into our newly painted room. When I came home, I was thrilled to see it. The room looked bigger, even with the same amount of furniture in it. I was excited to get into bed in our "old" bedroom last night. It looked gorgeous.

The dogs made themselves at home right away too. They were thrilled to be back in their regular territory. We knew we'd had a successful home reno job.

Then, last night, right as I was beginning to put on my pjs, the professor and I looked up at the newly painted ceiling right above my part of the bed (ahh, it looked so beautiful when he painted it...) and we saw the plaster had buckled. There was cracking. The professor touched it. It was wet. This just happened- yesterday.

We said a few bad words. We tried to isolate the problem, and as best we can tell, it is a leaking or broken boiler pipe between the second and third floors. Yet, our house is toasty warm, even on the third floor. The ancient boiler is doing an admirable job. Even so, we determined that it wasn't safe to sleep under something leaky that might spew hot water in the middle of the night.

The professor sent the dogs and me down to the living room. The dogs were sleepy and curled up for cuddles and I called my mom. Who else can you call at 10 pm CT (11 pm ET-- her time...) to have commiseration about these kinds of *^#%^!! things?

Somehow, the professor moved all our furniture on his own back into the "back up" bedroom where we'd been sleeping for a little over a month. This is where the nursery will be when the babies are born. He put down plastic tarp and a trash can in our -again empty-bedroom to catch any spills.

We went back to trying to sleep a little before midnight. I was exhausted...but somehow, the city decided that last night was the time to use the construction equipment bobcats to clear large snow piles on the main street outside our house. (Beep beep beep every time they backed up, all night long) Also, we had an endless number of dump trucks, filled with snow, idling on the street as they headed to snow disposal sites. This idling and enormous gas wastage apparently must be done between midnight and 6 AM to avoid traffic problems?

This AM, the professor called the plumbers, who now treat us like family. They explained that they are very busy and that both of their master plumbers are out sick. Luckily, we still have heat so there is no desperate emergency--we're all hoping it is a small little leak...but we'll wait until they come by to cut into that section of freshly painted (and now ruined) plaster ceiling.

Oy.
Have I mentioned that it's downright cold here lately? I am considering throwing in the towel on this day and creeping back under the covers again with a dog or two to keep me warm.

Good news? The carding class went well. There are still more Florida pictures to enjoy later in the week. We're all safe and warm and no one was burnt by leaking hot water in the middle of the night...I guess it's time to be grateful for all these things...right?

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger ~Marge~ said...

Oh dear! So sorry to hear of all the plumbing problems. :( Praying that all will be okay and you'll be able to enjoy your new/old bedroom soon.

January 31, 2011 at 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh, so sorry. Hope you can get it fixed soon.

January 31, 2011 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Wow! Way to much for a pregnant woman to have to deal with! Hope you next post has a happy ending to this saga. Glad you have the dogs to keep you warm. :-) We are preparing for more snow and then ice. I'm wondering if it will live up to all the hype and at the same time hoping it doesn't.

January 31, 2011 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger Cloverleaf Art and Fibre said...

Oh, I see what you mean. I hope you voted to go back to bed this afternoon. Some days just deserve to be ignored.

January 31, 2011 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger AdrieneJ said...

Oh boy... seems like this house is showing all its wrinkles, isn't it? I'm glad you folks got out before you got leaked on with hot water. Here's to hoping it's all sorted out sooner than later!

January 31, 2011 at 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home