Monday, November 06, 2006

fiber and packing tape??

I've recovered enough from the Sally love fest (thanks for the warm congratulations, everybody) to get back to the fibery stuff...while she slept next to me. This weekend, the biologist was away, and I enjoyed myself by sitting and knitting on the couch. A lot. A friend of mine and a colleague of my husband's is having a baby and there's a baby shower soon. I used my newfound knowledge from Mason-Dixon Knitting to embark on a baby present. I interrupted my regularly scheduled knitting to do this bib and burp cloth. My fibery mother-type friends have advised me that more burp cloths are needed. We'll see what can be done about that by next week's shower. I have mixed feelings about knitting for babies. I believe that every baby deserves handmade things to welcome him/her into this world. However, despite 6+ years of our best efforts, we haven't been able to get pregnant. While trying is sometimes fun, the whole thing becomes less fun when everyone you know is having kids but you. Plus, the drugs, blood tests, and doctors' visits? Not fun. I'm on a hiatus from the doctor stuff, since there's theoretically nothing wrong with us, after all those tests. So, now I don't knit baby things for everyone...when it doesn't seem emotionally taxing, I knit. When it does, I rush out, purchase something suitable, and move on.

On the good news front: This box of my handspun (photo shot when box was halfway full) has been sent off to Berea College's Log House Craft Gallery today.


It was extra taxing at the last minute because our household ran out of packing tape. We had three different rolls of tape floating around the house. Three. All three ended at the same time, before this one box got taped up! What are the chances?? Luckily, the drugstore's just up the street, I taped up the box in the parking lot, and off it went. Whew! Glad that's out of the office...now there's room for me to start spinning up some more.

A friend of mine has just posted her beautiful designs on a gorgeous new webpage! Check out Heartland Knits online and at your local yarn shop for more information. Some may think, hey, what's that silly Joanne doing, promoting other knitwear designs on her website? Well, I believe in synergy. Knitters knit many patterns over their knitting lives, and Vicki designs some amazing things. That's why I'm telling you about her. Check it out.

Oh. One last thing. If you're a U.S. citizen, PLEASE VOTE TOMORROW.

Please. I beg of you....just do it. (yes, the blue is a subliminal message.)

5 Comments:

Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

My inlaws became citizens thios past year and we are all going to vote together!!! I'm kind of excited for them:-)

November 6, 2006 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

My heart goes out to you both. Last summer I saw tears shimmering in the eyes of someone telling me she'd been trying for a family for two years.

As for the elections... I wish you luck. And a free and fair chance at the polls: the news here is discussing the vulnerabilities of the electronic system.

November 7, 2006 at 5:30 AM  
Blogger June said...

Joanne, always wishing the best for you and hubby, things tend to happen when you least expect it, so hopefully that will be soon. The spinning looks great of course, and you *know* we've got tape at our house!

November 7, 2006 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger MOMOTOM said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 23, 2021 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger Charlotte27 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 2, 2022 at 1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home