Tuesday, March 06, 2007

new...errr..old quilt

I've finally saved my wool quilt, and, due to requests off line, here are the photos to prove it. As of this winter, I planned to fix the wool felt backing, which was all pilled and nappy. (No wonder, really, after 15 years or more of winter use!) My mom carefully brought me some 100% wool brown fabric as a new backing when my folks visited a while back. Sadly, it didn't match well. I resorted to cleaning everything while I thought about it. I took off the old felt backing to wash the wool patchwork and batting, which was very dirty. Ta Da! The felt on the inside looked good as new. I decided to reverse the backing so the new looking felt would be on the outside. Then the quilt waited in a pile on a chair in my hall for months. Yesterday, I finally fixed it, sewed it all together again, and it is on the bed.
note the wool felt backing--15 years+ old, and good as new when turned inside out.

Now, it looks exactly like it did before--and I'm sure a dog is already testing it out. I hope it's good for another 15 years, because by then, I might be ready to tackle making another wool quilt. This photo is an old one of Sally, from winter 2006, but things are just as comfy again now!



3 Comments:

Blogger jenknits said...

Thanks for posting the quilt pictures! It looks so cozy, makes me want to go back to bed on a rainy day like today!

March 7, 2007 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Is Sally part cat? She certainly has the curl up thing down.

March 8, 2007 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Sally's a very lucky dog in so many ways; that quilt looks so soft and warm. Tangle was not allowed upstairs, let alone on the bed! But she'd try to creep into our room during late night thunderstorms, poor thing, she was so frightened. Sounded like a steam train panting up the stairs.

March 9, 2007 at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home