Monday, March 05, 2007

Tornado alert system

I appreciate all your worry about our tornado watch. They aren't uncommon in the spring time here, and although we had a big storm last week, it's the tornado warnings we have to watch out for.
Watch means=tornado conditions might happen, pay attention
Warning means=Dang! We spotted the tornado! Get in your basement, bathtub, room without windows, ditch, or culvert, and pray now...

I'm only slightly kidding about the praying part. In the past, I've rushed to the basement with the dogs, the radio and my knitting, and then I've tried to tune the radio. Reception in the basement isn't great, but I've managed to find the only local station broadcasting alerts, weather updates, and prayers, all at once. Tornado veterans think Kentucky is "tornado lite" because it's nothing like, say, Kansas. I say, a tornado is a tornado. Scary. I hardly ever get to knit because both 40+ lb dogs are trying to be in my lap at once. I've been thinking about the people of Enterprise, Alabama; what terrible losses they've had this week. We are friends with a couple there. The tornado was within two miles of their home.

I must revise my dog warning statement, previously mentioned. Harry, as shown above, is a laid back couch hog until the storm is upon us. Sally spent an hour on Thursday cowering by my leg under the desk. Today she rushed for comfort when we heard loud thunderlike construction equipment. Harry is the amateur dog warning system. Sally is a professional.

I too, it turns out, am a professional...of a different sort. This weekend I won an award at a local art show for "Kool-Aid's Best Use." I used the handspun I dyed with Kool Aid, knit up some scribble lace, and encased it within two pieces of plexiglass. I don't have a photo of it, but Cosmos Fabric was my other entry, which didn't win. In order to go to the opening and get my award (a certificate and a tax form for the prize money--I've won enough for a nice dinner out), we missed going to Nashville to party for Purim, but as a professional artiste, perhaps now I'm suffering for my art. (haha..but at least I'm not hung over this year...Purim is a fabulous opportunity to party.)

3 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Think of the people you may have inspired... Kool-Aid spills as an opportunity for creativity!

And you're right: a tornado is a tornado, any of them can damage or destroy individual lives. High winds are forecast here, but only to c. 50mph, which merely means listening to the sash windows rattle all night.

March 5, 2007 at 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we just did our first kool-aid dyeing ever at our house. it was really fun!

March 5, 2007 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger jenknits said...

Now you can be called a professional kool aid dyer!

March 5, 2007 at 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home