Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Primrose Path

I'm learning something new: when you don't have time to leisurely spin or knit on your own, it's nice to read and write about it. I'm getting a lot of pleasure from others' blogs, from my work with designers, and the small amount I do each night before collapsing in a heap! I also accomplish a lot of knitting on planes while travelling. Right now, I'm waiting for some yarn to arrive for yet another design.

As you've suggested, I'm taking to take breaks to cook, eat lunch out with friends, and do errands. It allows me to enjoy the sunshine and get away from the computer for just a little while each day.

Janet asked what this book thing had to do with the festivals. Ahh, well, the book is about fiber festivals and other fiber-community events (relating to sheep and other fiber producing animals, spinning, knitting,crochet, rughooking, weaving--fiber arts). Plus, the book will also include 25 or more projects, contributed by a variety of designers, including me. If all goes well, Fiber Gathering will appear in a bookstore near you in Spring 2009.

What's the deal with all these flowers? These are Missouri Primroses that started growing in our lawn a while back. The professor carefully mows around them, and each year we have a bigger patch of flowers. When we were first married, I asked the professor to invest in planting flowers around our house instead of handing me dead ones. (did you know that most florist flowers travel long distances, wasting lots of energy to reach us?) I also buy locally grown flowers at the farmer's market on occasion.

Now, in our third house, (we've moved a few times) he's still putting bulbs and rose bushes into the ground and mowing to save lone blossoms. Today, I got out of the car after running an errand and I saw he'd left one lone primrose in a new spot. This is the subtle romance of being married to a biologist!
(We've reached that warm time of year. Sally's favorite sleeping spots include this one--under an old church pew and behind my spinning wheel in the coolest room in the house.)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Joanne. That's a different book from the one I thought you were writing! Good-o. We have some great spinners here in Lawrence, Kansas, and a wonderful yarn shop, the Yarn Barn but no festival that I know. Still, I found out about the Harveyville Project's Yarn School not far from here. Plus, Lawrence is a fine place to stop between Sedalia and Denver, if you're crazy enough to want to make the drive. Are you tempted? :)

May 23, 2007 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Well, not really tempted by 1 more thing just now, Janet, but thanks! I can't afford to buy anything and the Yarn Barn would just kill me! We're driving to Sedalia, and flying to Denver. All the travel plans through the end of June have been finalized, and since my photographer/husband doesn't like long long drives, we're not driving any farther than 500 miles each way...but who knows, someday?

May 23, 2007 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

It sounds as though you're still enjoying the adventure -- just remember when you were worried about having nothing but knitting and spinning. Life is swings and roundabouts, as the British say.

I'm absolutely with you on the cut flowers. I think the blooms look best on the plants! The professor sounds like a very well-trained husband indeed :-)

May 23, 2007 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

Heee. I don't like cut flowers, either! Hope everything is going well! :)

May 23, 2007 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

Sally looks like *she's* the one who's been running all about the countryside. Look like she's got a good thing going there. :)

May 23, 2007 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Sally's a smart one, and your sweetie! Oh, he's even smarter!

May 23, 2007 at 7:08 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

that lone primrose is the essence of romance :-)

May 23, 2007 at 8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the primroses! I also love that old church pew. I have always thought that it would be a wonderful item to have. I am glad that you are finding pleasure in unlikely places!

May 24, 2007 at 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the primroses! And I love your idea about live flowers as gifts. When I have a garden again I will go down that road too.

May 24, 2007 at 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe a look at Maggie's Farm would do the trick? Just kidding. ;)

As to the flowers, I wouldn't cut primroses, but I always thought one of the joys of growing flowers was the joy of having some inside, too. But I can see that sentiment goes against the grain here!

May 24, 2007 at 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home