Sunday, January 13, 2008

those sexy curves

I'm home again and ready to talk curvy, rounded, enticing things.... Like shawl collars. Here's a photo of the new/old deep v-neck, zippered cardigan. It's been translated into this thing with the deep garter stitch shawl collar, and I think it works. Sadly, I couldn't capture the short row magic with the camera without undoing all my blocking efforts, so I'll describe it. I built up the back collar with short rows, and, at the same time, created those rounded bits at the bottom--with very long short rows. The middy tie was added last, so as to take the weight of a full collar off the zipper.

Here's the full glory of my loot from School Products. Hey, now that I've read Deborah's comment, below, I realize it could have been worse. It could have been a loom! (and how would I get that in an airplane sized carry-on, I ask you?) You'll notice the plum, brown, burgundy theme. These colors look good on me, the professor, and most of my family members, and they're in fashion. Might as well stock up so as to get through all those lean years when the stores are filled with pastels.

Questions about the socks I'm knitting up? There's more information here about that yarn--just scroll down to see it in the skein. While many yarns and fibers marinate a long while in my stash, it turns out this yarn sprung into socks relatively quickly. I'm now working busily on my second sock.

It's been wonderful to sleep in my own bed again. I've grown into something of an introvert; I get tired out by all the social interactions and need quiet recovery time. It's also a great time of year to enjoy extra sleeping with all this darkness. We were welcomed home to this great sunset on Friday as we went to rescue the dogs from jail the kennel. That place is in the country a few miles out of town, complete with large group dog runs and lots of play time. Only, the sad part is that Sally is too nervous to like it. Harry is a big socializer, so he has lots of fun. Every time we pick up the dogs there, we hear, "Harry was great. Such a friendly guy. Sally? Sally's very nervous." Or, one time, the report was..."Sally bit a big lab puppy twice her size. She shouldn't have done it, but...he's annoying and was asking for it." (nice to know the other dog deserved it when our girl loses her patience, but...not the best news!) Everyone always comes back hoarse from barking and exhausted. Funny, I know just how they feel.

Meals at home have been quiet, warming, filling affairs. Rib-eye steak, wild rice, winter time lettuce and napa cabbage salad with apples, walnuts, and raisins on Friday. Saturday night: sauteed onions and shitake mushrooms in a red wine reduction, combined with leftover wild rice, tiny chunks of steak, and swiss chard, flavored with a bit of garlic, parsley, olive oil, wine vinegar, maple syrup, pepper and salt. Arugula, mache, and napa cabbage fattoush with sundried tomatoes as the salad (arugula and mache from our garden) and for dessert, those very last upstate NY apples, served in a just from the oven apple crumble. Mmmh. Good to be home.

5 Comments:

Blogger SueJ said...

Its good when its good to be home, if you know what I mean! I like the collar on your sweater. I too have a 'thing' about naked v necks.Not sure how our dog would cope in 'jail', he is spoilt & can go to Grandad's when we go away. On our walk today he lay down everytime we met a dog (& we met loads!). He is not being shy or timid I don't think, just a sheep dog!

January 13, 2008 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Great shoppping - you got some lovely yarns. I really like the shawl collar.

January 14, 2008 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

I love the collar! Very nice. :)

January 14, 2008 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Oh the collar turned out quite nice! Beautiful job!

I've enjoyed a few extra winks lately myself! Glad to hear you are home safe and sound...the photo of the twilight is lovely...

January 14, 2008 at 9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That collar totally makes that sweater. It's smashing. And thank you--I've got a brown handspun v-neck sweater languishing unloved, that just didn't come out quite...something...and I'm suddenly seeing possibilities in what I could do with it. Thank you!

January 14, 2008 at 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home