Thursday, June 26, 2008

new roads

caption: The road down from my parents' vacation place. Explanation: The road is so steep that they named it "Virage." A virage, in French, is a sharp, U-bend in a road. Usually there are signs on mountains that warn of "virage" so you know to drive more slowly--those hairpin turns are the way you make it up a steep hill without going up an impossible grade.
When my parents built their vacation home, the electric company had to come up the hill and put down new poles and string wire to get them electricity. That's the kind of forging ahead that I feel as though I've been doing this week. Good progress, hard work, and somewhat uncharted....
Two dogs have now been bathed as a result of the compost adventure. I've also turned the stuff, watered it, and done everything possible to lessen its odor and keep it from being tempting. I've also dealt with a dead half-snake (a dog killed this, gosh knows where the other half was) and a variety of dog stomach ailments from their compost mistakes. The professor has apologized, long distance, several times, and I know it was a mistake. I promise, I'm not angry. Just tired of the grossness of this experience!
Other excitement has included two visits from my favorite air conditioning fix-it guys, who had to rewire the air conditioning connection and put in a new attic fan. Of course, since it is so hot here in the summer, they had to be in the attic by 8 AM...so I got up, to fight the compost battles with the dogs, by 6.
Now, I've been plenty busy with work and I haven't minded the time to myself. I really like being on my own sometimes. I'm not unhappy. That said, by yesterday evening I was rattling around. I'd spent the day inside since it was so hot. I felt the need for a walk. I hoped to, you know, see a person or two, have a conversation, and make sure I was still part of society. I'd walked about a mile or so with the dogs when I finally bumped into one of the professor's colleagues. We had a nice talk, during which I found out that there was a baby shower for somebody in their department happening at that moment, and no, I wasn't even invited. Never mind that baby showers are hard for me sometimes...what stung was not even being included.
I didn't meet anyone else on the walk, and by the time I got home, I was happy to retreat again with my knitting-perhaps the benefits of local society are overrated? The professor and I are off to visit Winnipeg in a few days, and I'm looking forward to it. (For the geographically challenged, Winnipeg is in Manitoba. Manitoba is in Canada. Think North Dakota, and drive north from there...) We're still exploring the options for where we might move. When, I don't know, if and where is still in limbo, too. I do know that 5 years is long enough to try hard someplace. If I'm still wandering around looking for a conversation after this long? It may be time to find a new road. I'm willing to handle some switchbacks and to take a long walk or two, honest, but I hope I find that new journey soon.
Now, back to my knitting...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes people think they're being kind by not exposing you to your hurts, not realizing they're making it worse. I'm so sorry.

That's a beautiful view, meantime. Have a good trip. (I ran a quick errand today, and the smoke hung in the air so thick I'd have thought one of the fires was right here. Could barely see the mountain ridge.)

June 26, 2008 at 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baby showers are much overrated. Conversations are not (especially when about spinning, knitting, and the like . . . topics not often discovered at random baby showers).

Consider this a virtual invitation for a cup of tea and some admiration of grease wool and the latest tech editing project. It might bore other people. . . .

June 26, 2008 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I haven't attended many baby showers, and since I've not had babies of my own, did not have one thrown for me. They are a bittersweet experience in my psyche. The academic ivory tower can be a tough nut to crack to feel settled. Bring your dogs and have a sittin' spell on one of my porches while the dogs enjoy the new smells of my yard and we investigate fiber over tea!

June 26, 2008 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

I love your writing. It's always wonderful to read your entries! (And articles, etc) I'm looking forward to the book. :)

June 27, 2008 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

I have just caught up on your last few posts! First... the doggy habits! Oh yes, we have been there! Much sympathy!!! Moss isn't a fan, although he has found where foxes have been & thats not fun. The old guys though were experts!!!! Baby showers....mmm that's very 'american' I guess but clearly people have some 'odd' ideas about them -you would invite a single lady or a divorcee to a batchelorette (is that how its spelt?) (hen in 'english') party???? I hope your trip into Canada is fruitful.I must tell you that I am going to my first 'fibre festival' tommorow...ever!!!!

June 27, 2008 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger weebug said...

that view is wonderful! i hope that you have recovered from the compost adventure and that you have a break from things on your vacation!

June 27, 2008 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger ~ Phyllis ~ said...

Glad to hear things are improving with the compost adventure.

June 29, 2008 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Have you ever experienced a virage mirage? (just joking...I wanted to make you smile..don't worry about the baby shower stuff...I agree with Alisonh)

I hope your compost can now get back to business (it has had it's share of turnings!)

July 2, 2008 at 7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home