Tuesday, July 22, 2008

buzzing

Whew! We're just buzzing with activity. So busy that I forgot to post this past weekend. We were preoccupied. First, it's been very hot here, yesterday's "heat index" was 105 F. (40 C, folks!)

Obviously, the most important thing to do while coping with the heat is to try on parkas, right?! We ordered appropriate winter gear for Canadian winters recently. Everything down filled is on sale in the summer, so it's a good chance to stock up. The professor (pictured here) got two parkas, since he has still been using a ridiculously small ski jacket that he got at age 16 or 17 whenever it got cold. Now, that jacket sort of looked like a shrug, in my opinion, barely covered his rib cage, but he refused to buy a new one when it "hardly ever got cold enough" here. (In Kentucky, we usually have a week of temperatures in the 5 to 25F/-15 to -4C range.) Now, at least, I've convinced him into decent winter gear. I even made him wear a handknit sweater while he tried on the coat, so he is very warm in that photo!

Actually, I think it was the German professor he met in Winnipeg who told him to "Buy dee varmest coat North Face makes, buy it immediately in the USA. You vill need it." That other guy had a PhD and a very serious sounding accent so my professor believed him. :)

In other activities, I canned 8 pints of dilly beans (green and wax beans with a dill vinegar solution, like dill pickles) and 6 pints of dill cucumber pickles. I had a couple of hours of spinning time with a friend, (first time I've spun in quite a while) and then my spinning friend came with the professor and me to see a local production of Gershwin's Crazy for You. Gershwin's music is hard to play, so we were very impressed with the production. A pit orchestra, great vocal leads AND...an entire chorus line of fabulous tap and soft shoe dancers.

Who knew? Bowling Green secretly is a hotbed of tap dance divas! Best of all was sitting in a dark air conditioned theater for a Sunday matinee while the closest thermometer read 99F/37C. A recurring theme here in the summer time is this temperature thing. I never remember thinking so much about it when a) I lived in a cooler climate and b)my air conditioning kept up. My upstairs office is quite steamy this time of year, hotter than any other room in my house. Maybe (just maybe) because it is lined in boxes of wool?

In the knitting department, I'm working on a sweater design with bulky weight Morehouse Merino yarn. Luscious stuff. Yes, I knit with wool and spin wool in the summer. I CAN TAKE IT. Bring on the heat! (ok, not really, but I try not to be wimpy about it.)

This is most of the news. Today I'm off to visit my local yarn/spinning shop, Enchanted Yarn And Fiber. I've been thoroughly enjoying all your long and juicy comments...and I try to visit and comment on your blogs or send an email in return. Thanks for keeping me company; I love to hear from you. I'll let you know if I come home with anything enchanted after my adventure today!

6 Comments:

Blogger SueJ said...

Well that photo made me smile! Good planning! Its actually about 22 degrees here so we are feeling the heat!

July 22, 2008 at 12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember taking a brisk walk in New Hampshire on a winter day, with my down jacket on and my tall husband's down jacket on over it. I walked around the block--my normal morning walk was in the four-mile range back then--and went straight home, wondering at how crazy I was for being out there at all. We were having a cold snap and the temp, with windchill factored in, was minus 27.

July 22, 2008 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Deborah Robson said...

Your upstairs office would be *hotter* without all the wool. It's insulation.

July 22, 2008 at 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Deborah. I also think your mood sounds noticeably lighter since the decision to go north. As a nearly life-long resident of eastern Kansas (whose weather sounds similar to yours in Kentucky, except for colder winters), I also think that places with erratic weather have one weather-related constant: discussions about the weather. My guess in Winnipeg you won't be talking about the weather so much as the length of the season, which is different!

July 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Oh Janet, I imagine I'd be talking about the weather everywhere; I've lived in 4 U.S. states and overseas; everyone does! (talk about the weather, that is.) As for a lighter mood, I'm less stressed about making the decision. I'm more stressed about how one moves to Canada--there are a lot of steps between now and living in Winnipeg!

July 23, 2008 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger weebug said...

i love the concept of enchanted yarn, although in this house it usually means that it has waltzed away somewhere!

July 23, 2008 at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home