Monday, October 27, 2008

Lyle Wheeler Great Wheel

I picked up my new, handmade great wheel at SAFF in Asheville. (I tried it out first at the festival and the professor shot these photos.) Then I drove over 500 miles to Northern Virginia and set it up again so you could see wheel#34 head-on in this last photo. This great wheel, is the 34th handmade by Lyle Wheeler in the mountains of North Carolina, in mixed Appalachian hardwoods.

The drive was alight with autumn leaves and sunshine.

I just read my almost 3 year old nephew stories (including one with sheep and knitting in it) before his afternoon nap. Later today I may be able to go to the hospital to see my new baby nephew, who is still in intensive care.

I'm very excited about my new wheel, but even excitement is a bit subdued at the moment. However, now I'm here in Virginia to visit and help as needed.


Enjoy the photos! You can just about still smell the linseed oil finish when you see these shots!

12 Comments:

Blogger knitalot3 said...

Very cool wheel!

October 27, 2008 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger LISMI said...

Looks beautiful. I just had my first spinning lessons, but on a much smaller wheel ;)

October 27, 2008 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Congratulations Joanne!! Such a beautiful wheel and made by a local craftsman no less. Your right - I can just smell the linseed oil.
I wish you many, many enjoyable
hours of spinning pleasure :)

I pray your nephew is getting healthier and stonger everyday.

October 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful wheel! Hugs, ever so gently, and prayers for the little nephew. May he grow and thrive.

October 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful wheel! Is that a little drawer under the table? I love the spinning head and tensioning mechanism. So many great wheels turn it into something complicated, or leave the tensioning off altogether. May you have many hours of happy spinning on her.

October 27, 2008 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

gorgeous wheel! i love the little drawer.
sending more hugs to your baby nephew.

October 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

It is beautiful! I'm very excited for you Joanne.

Sending my prayers up for your nephew and family--I'm sure they appreciate that you are there.

October 27, 2008 at 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty! If you are standing on the same level as the wheel, in that first photo, it's not as tall as I expected it to be.

October 28, 2008 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Great wheel!

Best to your nephew and the rest of the family.

October 28, 2008 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

You spinners and your gorgeous wheels! You're not making it any easier for me to not be a spinner, shame on you!

Your family continues to be in my heart.

October 28, 2008 at 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! I want one! Maybe if I got rid of the sofa...

Best wishes and prayers still flying across the ocean for your nephew.

October 28, 2008 at 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a whole lot to be said for a great wheel. Congratulations! Cotton is a dream with a tool like that . . . spun directly off the seed . . . Ella Baker showed me how, years ago. . . . A bright memory.

October 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home