Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cankles

The other day I heard all about my younger nephew's cankles. This is apparently the area we would call...ankles and calves. On a baby, this would be "cankles." As in, this baby doesn't have any socks that fit properly because of his outsized, fleshy, delicious to kiss-- cankles.

The next line of the email mentioned something about Auntie Joanne, knitter, and whether she'd do something about it right now?

I immediately dropped all my dithering about a knitting impasse. On the way to the Ozarks, I drove 200 miles and then the professor took over and I whipped up the first pair of cankles. The yarn is called Merino Bambino. It is great stuff, machine washable fingering weight Merino, but it seems to only be sold in Australia. (bought in on vacation a few years ago.) The socks hopefully fit someone in the 15th percentile for his age (we're not quite thriving yet, this is the nephew that spent 10 weeks in neo-natal intensive care and it's hard to get enough nutrients through the naso-gastric tube) and that foot length is 4.5". Toe up socks, figure 8 cast-on, round toe, short row heel, and ribbing on a larger needle and a large bind off to accomodate those dear cankles.

It occurred to me while knitting pair number two (in green cotton sock yarn for spring) that I haven't knit much for my nephews...clearly a case of the cobbler's children having no shoes. Or the knitter's nephews having no handknit socks. Or something. They don't even have their own set of bug finger puppets! Their grandmother (my mother) is an avid knitter too, so maybe we should get on that. They are very good for creative play...and use up all your sock yarn odds and ends.

This came up because over on Ravelry, the fabulous database for knitters that is already over 300,000 knitters strong, is having a contest. It's called the Bobby Awards, and there is a category for coolest toy. If you don't have a horse in this race, (as we say here in Kentucky) would you mind voting for my Bug Finger Puppets? Thank you, if you're so inclined. The professor studies bugs, so we'd have to say we're a fan of them over here. Too bad I don't still have the original samples. We'd be playing all the time! :)

In other news, several kind friends have posted fun things about Fiber Gathering. On foodperson.com, Janet tried out the one recipe in the book, apple crisp,...and she liked it! (I wish there had been room for more recipes. I would have gone wild!) My friend Alison posted another kind, wonderful note celebrating all our connections over here at her blog, Spindyeknit. We also dropped by our local book store to pick up a magazine and saw an actual copy of the book there! Yes, we are truly neophytes. This blew my mind. The professor also talked about it for two days, so apparently it blew his prodigious brain as well! We are pretty easy to bowl over these days. It's all a bit overwhelming!

If you voted for Bug Finger Puppets, would you let me know in a comment? Or tell me what you think about those lovely little cankles that babies have? Or whatever? I love hearing from you!

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What feels even weirder, at least to me with mine, is when people pick it up, like it, and buy it. Don't ask me why that should feel weird, it just does.

March 15, 2009 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I love your cankle socks and I love to kiss those pudgy little cankles on sweet smelling babies :) I'm so glad your nephew is improving - what a worry it has been for your entire family.

Can't wait for my copy of your book to arrive. May I send it to you for your autograph? I'd love to have it if you are so inclined :)

The finger puppets are adorable.

March 15, 2009 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Hey, I didn't know those were your puppets! I bought them a year or two ago & they are darling. I've had the pattern propped face out on a bookshelf for the last week, deciding which one I'm going to knit to celebrate spring.

March 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I love that I can click through and get a BIG photo of the bug finger puppets on this blog post. They are quite wonderful.

And *you folks* would not go "HUNH?" when I say our business name: Callosamia, LLC, d/b/a Nomad Press. We thing the LLC name is perfectly obvious. And we have a dog named Tussah (because of her color).

I'm glad you're having time and energy to knit for your nephews. There's a blog post about your book in the offing on my blog. Soonish. I'm enjoying getting acquainted with the text as well as the pictures.

March 16, 2009 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

That Merino Bambino is a great name for yarn! The cankles look great--so glad to hear that he is doing well!

Love those bug puppets Joanne! I'll put my money on you... Hope you take the award!

March 16, 2009 at 7:16 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Voted! Might even knit them when some of the little squibs my knitting friends are producing this year get old enough to play with them.

Cankles.... love it!

March 16, 2009 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Voted for your puppets over on Ravelry :-)

March 17, 2009 at 7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My book is coming, before the end of the week. I ordered it from Amazon with something else that apparently takes longer to get, so they waited awhile before sending it.

March 18, 2009 at 7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home