Wednesday, June 17, 2009

the spinning news

Well, as of today, we've packed 117 boxes. Out of curiosity, I checked our running list (we're documenting every box) and a little more than half are books. Willow and I have a lot in common...in any case, a professor and a teacher turned writer are bound to be readers, right? The funny part is how many books we've already given away to the local library for their used book sale!

Despite a busy social schedule--the professor and I have had 4 social engagements between Tuesday and Thursday, an all time record... I've been doing some spinning related things.

First, my spindle returned for my Lyle Wheeler Great Wheel. This spindle wasn't quite perfect for me and Lyle kindly worked on it again...I love this about handmade things, we can tweak it until it's right! I've gotten it on the wheel, and I've spun a tiny bit. However, I couldn't find the spinning oil (this despite buying 2 more bottles!) to oil everything, so more time with that wheel will have to wait. Also, we were in the midst of severe thunderstorms, so Sally the dog was trying to squeeze herself into a space between boxes and the wheel that was genuinely unsafe. She is afraid of storms as they are so violent here, and often cause tornadoes. I am perhaps more afraid of finding a squished dog in between the moving boxes...

For my "Back to Basics" spinning workshops in May, I'd purchased exquisite raw Finn wool from Misty Mountain Farm. I try to offer students a lot of different wool breed samples in my classes. This raw fiber was delicious. Even so, I can't say I recommend ever moving raw wool in a moving truck in the summer time. STINKY! So, I washed it. Due to our summer storms and high humidity (last I checked, it was 77% humidity AFTER a storm came through, so gosh knows what it was before...), this wool is drying in the guest bathroom. It's mostly dry after three days. I am dying to sit down and spin it straight from the lock...but first, I'd like to finish plying all the "anxiety" Shetland I spun while I was waiting to hear if we were moving. Bear in mind that I have about 30 minutes a day, at most, to consider spinning. It's a pipe dream!

I also discovered while teaching that many students want to learn good hand carding technique but don't have hand cards. Sometimes their hand cards aren't right for the materials at hand...they are too fine for wool or too coarse. (this has to do with the carding cloth, which varies a great deal in tpi--teeth per inch.) I've been gifted with some old hand cards, both flat and curved back, over the years, and it occurred to me that with new carding cloth, these carders would again serve their purpose! More students could practice at once.

Before I closed the "hand cards" box I contacted Howard Brush Company--new carding cloth at 72 and 90 tpi is on its way! This is a relief, because my very favorite hand cards, made by Clemes & Clemes, developed a wobble in one of the handles. No surprise, really, as they are 24 years old and have seen much hard use. I like carding, and I love those cards! Luckily, the professor fixed the wobbles with some glue and I'm back in business. (I too use glue, but dribble it everywhere. He's neater than I am.)

I am now off to sit on the couch, watch a Due South dvd and knit wool socks. I'm preparing for Canada. So far, it's my favorite Canadian show.

This actor might be why, but a close second is his sidekick, a wolf. (Sally likes the wolf.) I welcome other Canadian program ideas--please feel free to suggest them in the comments!

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

I recommend a must see Red Green! It's only reruns now....also Air Farce.

June 18, 2009 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger Willow said...

The carders are a real treasure! So. You can purchase replacement cloth. Good to know. What about cloth for drummer carders?

I've been looking around Willow's Cottage, hoping for inspiration in how to rearrange bookshelves for maximum book storage. The situation is becoming 'difficult' again.

June 18, 2009 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Małgorzata said...

Yes, he is yummy.
SCTV was the breeding pond for many SNL talents. The best skit is Great White North - I hope you like the map of North America in it! Of course it is now only on dvds, I think. Otherwise Corner Gas is pretty funny, although I only watch bits of it before Simpsons on the Comedy channel.

June 18, 2009 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger Ali P said...

Corner Gas, Little Mosque On The Prairie, Robson Arms, This Hour Has 22 Minutes, The Mercer Report, Codco,Traders, Nikita, PLUS the movies: Passchendale, Men With Brooms, New Waterford Girl, Wilby Wonderful, Bon Cop Bad Cop.

June 19, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home