Sunday, July 05, 2009

the last days...

You never can tell...In the midst of packing, I read a great book. It was a 10 cent book I picked up at a used book store in Vermont. At only 10 cents, I started the book figuring it wasn't much of a risk. I didn't expect much. Instead, it lead me into a very thoughtful exploration of women's roles...how smart women cope when faced with frustrating options. The book was by Margaret Drabble, published in 1962, and it's called The Summer Birdcage. Although the scenarios have changed slightly, what struck me was this...all these intelligent, Oxbridge educated women finished school and were so disappointed by society's opportunities for women that awaited them. Although things have changed a great deal in some ways, I found myself thinking "Plus ça change, plus c’est la meme chose.." (the more things change, the more they stay the same.)

After all, why did I end up in Kentucky? (or am moving to Winnipeg, which I'm looking forward to?) The professor's job. I've gotten more used to this now but I was pretty upset the first couple of times I gave up very good jobs to move. We've also gotten better at negotiating this--now the professor knows more about how I feel with each move! (I've also reconciled the fact that I could have kept great jobs --or--the professor. In several cases, it was a tough either/or choice.) Anyhow...that book was unexpectedly packed instead of donated to the library. It was worth keeping--it's an insightful read. Willow asked how many boxes of books we're up to? We think it's a little over 60 boxes of books. After that, we stopped packing purely boxes of books, they are mixed in with other things. Yes, we've got a few books...

The box count is somewhere around 280 now. We continue to pack and things are going smoothly. I've discovered a few quirks that connect to your comments...

Willow also asked what I've been spinning. I finished spinning the chocolate brown Shetland, and I packed up the flyer/whorl and other small parts of the Canadian Production wheel. The way I move wheels is by packing all the small moving parts in boxes of wool or other soft things. Then I watch the movers like a hawk when they wrap my wheels! So far, they've come through moves just fine. (My piano, on the other hand, was dropped in the last move and needed quite a lot of repair work...insurance is a good thing!)

My very last unpacked wheel is the Majacraft Little Gem. I've been spinning CVM on that wheel, and it looks like this. (that's a skein before I've set the twist.) I've decided that I'll keep spinning that for a few days longer before packing up.

The quirk comes in here...I felt this enormous need to finish things I've been spinning. By finish, I seem to mean that I want to have all the roving/fiber spun for these specific projects. It's ok, in my weird "must be finished" world, to pack unplied singles and skeins that still must be set. (I hear they allow plying of handspun in Canada.) That said, I recognize this is entirely irrational, so whatever, I'm letting myself have this weirdness. A little spinning every day is probably good for me.

Mrs.J asked how the dogs were doing with the packing madness. Umm, that's another quirky thing going on. Although we've kept walks and feedings and crate and bed locations exactly the same, our dogs are showing some understandable stress. They've been blowing coat (losing lots of hair) at an alarming rate. We thought it was the hot weather but the vet suggested it might also be stress. We now know this to be the case...because last night, the combination of a thunderstorm, fireworks, and boxes made Sally growl and bark at our dinner guests. Both of our guests are over at the house all the time, so we know it was just her very immense anxiety. Crate training is a good thing--she calmed down immediately once crated but it was a rough night for her. I tried homeopathic medicine to relieve anxiety today when it was thundering--it did absolutely no good.

We're hoping things will be ok as the dogs travel (in their crates) with us across the country. If it's not ok and the dogs seem hysterical, the vet has prescribed some doggy valium just in case. The dogs (or we?) may need it. Harry the dog, by the way, is still totally fine. He's a type B personality--the only one in this household!

Dinner guests, you say? The "breakables" packers arrive Thursday and the moving truck is coming on Friday...and those people had dinner guests on Saturday night?! Yes, we're crazy. We had a couple of friends over for Independence Day celebrations in the midst of the boxes. I've admitted that will probably be our last set of dinner guests, so today I started packing up the kitchen in earnest. That's probably the last quirk. I want our household to stay normal as long as possible...so even with the packing up, today I baked a blackberry peach pie. More pie? (It's the new "normal." I can do it even without a recipe now--as the cookbooks are all packed!)

Got any funny packing moving quirks of your own? New box estimates? Do tell! I'll try to post at least one more time before moving day. (I hope.)

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

It all sounds so "normal" to me. Your packing has gone so well - I'd be a nervous wreck by now :) I hate to pack and moving is even worse. I'm "never" doing it again unless I have no other choice. Thankfully I have landed in my "forever" place :)

I wish you both the very best of luck. Sally and Harry too. Winnipeg sounds like a wonderful city to explore and find quaint new nooks and crannys and book shops! Perhaps even fibery places as well. You'll have to be sure and post as you explore your new surroundings. I'll definately be waiting to read them!

Safe travels -

July 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

333 sounds like a good number to me, since we moved, by our moving company's billing, 3333 miles when we last moved.

July 5, 2009 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Dinner guests a couple days before moving? My first reaction? What a woman!! I wouldn't have even considered it, no matter how good the friendship. Unless, of course, they can help pack. Or better yet, cart off some stuff I don't want/need anymore. Hey...whatever works.

Thanks for the book tip...I'll be looking for it. Mgt Drabble is a good author, but haven't read this one.

From the comments on the last post (Canada Day) it sounds like you have some new friends up north waiting to welcome you.

Good luck with the next 4 days. My new count? 297....just because.

Pittsburgh (Pgh)Cathy

July 5, 2009 at 8:36 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

I, even I, who has moved an average of once every two years of my entire life, underestimated the boxes. 60+ books boxes. I'm truly impressed. Oh, wait. How big are the book boxes? The usual book sized ones from the packing stores? I would say that if you haven't done the kitchen yet that you will top 350 boxes.

In May, we took our dd's two cats on a 2400 mile truck trip in their cages to their new home in OH. Hobbes mewled all the way through CA and AZ but settled down by OK. I think he merely assumed his life was totally over and had abandoned all hope.

July 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margaret Drabble is a pretty safe gamble. Good purchase, that.

Sending good thoughts your direction, for two-foots and four-foots in transition.

July 6, 2009 at 12:13 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Wow... blew right by by 239 like I was standing still!

Pie is always a good thing, all know this.

July 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

I won't hazard a guess on the final box count, but I certainly can relate to the book boxes being a sizeable portion of the total.

Every time I've ever moved at least one person comments on the number of books; the cookbooks alone have been monumental! :0

It's almost frightening thinking about the new total as I've spent the last ten years since the last move accumulating fiber-related books like they're going out of style. ;)

July 7, 2009 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Once the dogs arrive in Canada I am sure they will settle right in! Learn to bark with a Canadian accent & such like! I think I may have read the MD book way back in the middle ages when I was at University! Hope all goes well!

July 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger foodperson said...

I'll be thinking of you this week! Hope you find the fun and excitement among the hard work.

July 7, 2009 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger Donna D said...

I love synchronicity. I've been reading The Witch of Exmoor by Margaret Drabble. I never had heard of her before and found the book on a night stand in my friend June's guest room!

Donna

July 8, 2009 at 3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home