Thursday, November 19, 2009

days flying by

It's apparently very warm here for November...hitting at least 40 to 45F every day. Since it's my first fall in Winnipeg, I don't know what to expect, and I don't mind! I've been doing all the dog walks lately as the professor is out of town. (He's coming back late tonight, he's been off doing field work and collecting moths.)

This is what I told a friend about the experience in an email:
I always wondered whether I would like the (prairie) western landscape before I moved here. I mean, it is flat flat flat. However, it's also wide open, spacious and beautiful.The streets are laid out logically, aside from the rivers which intersect the city. I also love the fact that I have now figured out which way to walk the dogs to see the horizon and the sunset, and in which direction to go if I want to see the sunrise. Of course, I'd need to be outside, but you know what I mean. :)

It is still a lot of work adapting to life here, I'm working hard. That said, it is worth the effort.

As a result of the 2 walks a day, doing all the house chores on my own, etc., my spinning efforts have fallen behind. I'm on only bobbin 3 of the Icelandic wool, and I'd hoped to send my mom home with 10-15 skeins of yarn! Well, I need to get a move on. So, while I was on the phone this morning, I hopefully hurried up the process by teasing a lot of wool ahead of time, so I wouldn't have to do it while spinning.

It's got a look of cappucino froth when it's all poofed up like that! I hope I'll be able to make more of a dent in things by the time my mom arrives in early December.

Other work adventures are taking up time as well. I'm teaching some teenagers in a local Jewish leadership program on an occasional basis. (sort of when the program organizers need me!) Part of that is doing some music with them, and gosh, I'm rusty. I've been practicing guitar and trying to build up my callouses again so each time I strum isn't quite so painful! This, of course, leaves less time for spinning, knitting and typing, all of which require the same darn set of hands. (In a whimsical vein, I was wishing I were able to borrow from another religious tradition here and have a few more sets of hands!)

Finally, I made time to visit my local Canadian Tire and buy myself a brand new set of skates! I know exactly when I got my last pair, over 20 years ago, and those were too small. The only other pair I have were my Mom's (from her college years!), and while the calfskin was supple, they were no longer very sturdy and had no ankle support. I was amazed to leave the shop having paid only roughly $40 Canadian for a brand new set of skates, sharpened at the store. When I got my last pair (again, a long time ago) in the DC area, I remember that they cost at least twice this, in US dollars.

Folks are often saying things must be more expensive here than in the US. Well, it depends. Flour is really inexpensive here--we're lots closer to where wheat is grown and milled. Skates? We're in the land of winter skating here--universal skates for everyone! Health care? (you've heard it's free, right?)

What's more expensive? Books. Cars. Heat. It just depends--like moving anywhere new.

I'm off to take my second walk of the day now with the canine members of the household. Last bits of news:
We've been talking about a potential Knit Along (KAL) over here on Ravelry...(please join us!)
Another friend is doing some fascinating musing about identity, process, and culture over on her blog...in the context of knitting! I find it very interesting--and relevant since I'm having a big shift this year myself from Kentucky to Manitoba.

Off to walk into the sunset!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

When we lived in New Hampshire, we had neighbors who'd just moved there from--get this--Hawaii. Their house (unlike ours) was heated with electricity, and electric rates there were some of the highest in the nation. They wanted to be able to walk around the house in short sleeves like back home...

Their first electric bill was more than their not-small mortgage. Ouch. Sweaters paid for themselves REAL fast.

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com

November 19, 2009 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

No worries, Alison, we're wearing our sweaters! (and the thermostat is set at 18C!) We're lucky that we've experienced cold weather before, unlike those from Hawaii! We just haven't experienced "must use block heater to start car" weather before. :)

November 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home