Wednesday, March 24, 2010

name that muffler

My busy weekend went swimmingly! I think both things I was in charge of leading on Saturday and Sunday went well. In terms of the spinning workshop on Sunday, well, I've never had such a big class before. Ten eager new spinners left after 3 hours...and I've already heard from one of them. Thanks for all your cheering over here on the blog. (I heard all that moral support--I was nervous, new city and all that, and you helped!)

I did miss our neighborhood grandma's 90th birthday open house, but I'm hoping to drop by and visit with her on a quieter day instead.

Since the weekend, things have still been quite busy. There's been research on fireplaces, a lovely dinner out at a neighborhood bistro, and last night, we went to the movies. I also fit in an hour of skating with a friend--potentially the last of the season, as the rinks are beginning to close for the year. It's warming up--though you wouldn't know it from the snow and slippery weather this AM!

Now, I promised you knitting in my last post. World's slowest sock project will have to wait. I've finished one sock and tried to photograph it by myself. Disaster. Looks bad. So, I'll try to finish sock number 2 and do a second foot photography session. It's really no wonder the photos looked bad the first time. I think that's how every single part of these socks have worked. It is possible I have reknit those things in their entirety two or three times. (As a comparison, last night at the movies, I knit roughly 4-5" inches of a sock cuff on size #2 (2.75mm) dpns. So, it's just these particular slow poke socks that are losers, not all socks that I knit...)

This morning, the professor took me outside to enjoy a bit of the snowflakes and to photograph my new scarf project. The light snowfall made everything look white and sparkly. (even my hair)

This scarf was a riff on the Gator Gaiter
pattern in Knit Green. I've been wearing the white cashmere version of this scarf off and on during the winter. My friends in town here love to say "Hey, isn't that the one that is in your book?!" Why yes, it is. However, it wasn't very thick or warm enough for colder weather, so I wondered how I could make an improvement. I had some Zitron Loft in my stash and two balls later, I had a scarf.

It started out sort of like the Gator Gaiter, but well, I couldn't help it, I changed it. It's different enough so I am thinking perhaps of putting it together as a pattern for sale on my website and Ravelry Store.

It was very fast to knit, and once I got into the 2 row pattern repeat, it zoomed along. It's pretty adjustable in terms of yarn weight and length, too. It's also well designed for a prairie breeze, because it has a hole in one end of the scarf so you can tuck the other end right through.

So, what do you think? Worth spending the time to write up the pattern? What, pray tell, should I call it? I've thought of things like "the deluxe gator" and "the doublewide" and the professor just snorted. If he doesn't think those are appealing names, well, then, I doubt knitters will either. I'm fresh out of clever names.

Please give me your brilliant thoughts and name ideas in the comments. If I pick your fabulous idea for a name--and maybe, if you seem enthusiastic, I manage to write up the pattern sometime soon--you'll get a copy of the pattern for free. I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

(Now I just have to find time to clean for Passover, which is coming soon)

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger evergreenknits said...

I'm terrible at coming up with names, so I'll bow out of this contest ...

But I did put a post up about it on WiKnit, so maybe some good namers will come your way!

March 25, 2010 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Being a NorthWet-er, I think it looks like berries, so I dub it "Berry Patch." :-)

March 25, 2010 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Pam Sykes (aka Pretty Knitty) said...

Gator Waffles - it looks like a waffle stitch? Srsly, that is the only thing that came to mine, but it could be because I skipped breakfast. . .I do love it, tho! Looks very lovely and snuggly!

March 25, 2010 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger knitmomma said...

I like bow out for a name! I was thinking "not quite a bow tie" because to me it looks almost like a bow tie when fastened. Very pretty, simple and elegant looking. (and by simple I mean not frilly.)

Knitmomma (at) gmail (dot) com

March 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

Hmmm, baby gators, so i think "Gator Eggs". Love the look of it!

Don't know i have missed your blog in the past! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!

March 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger One Sheep said...

Keeping with the large reptile theme, I've always liked the word Komodo. It's got nothing really to do with a warm, coxy, lovely muffler, but I like the sound of the word. Could turn into a series of patterns, with Cayman and Gekko. Perhaps a Frlled Dragon with ruffles. Time to shut up, except to say it's really pretty.

March 25, 2010 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger Tas said...

How about the black hole scarf? since it has a hole into which the rest of it is falling :)

March 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tail-gator? insti-gator? investi-gator?

navi-gator!! (It navigates around the neck and through the keyhole) Or there's always circumnavi-gator...

lol...ok, I'll stop now.

Love your blog!

Chana

March 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

I think you should name it after your new home: Winnipeg. :)

March 26, 2010 at 3:53 AM  
Blogger Suburban prep said...

I have now idea why but Wildwind came to me when I saw it.

March 26, 2010 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I'm thinking along the same lines as Romi. I thought Winnipeg Warmer would work...since now you're in Winnipeg you need a warmer scarf. That's the way my brain works! lol

March 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home