Wednesday, May 02, 2007

preparations

Yesterday the professor had several of his students out to our backyard to learn about how to catch moths and butterflies for study. He showed them how to set up a live bait trap. The traps are baited with a mushed up mixture of overripe bananas, beer, and yeast. This smell is enough to turn them off of beer forever!

I can see this one from my office window. I've been spending a lot of time in my office..getting ready for my big fiber festival project this summer. (More on that in another post.)

In my breaks, I've been spinning this blend of navy blue and cranberry colored 2 ply Cotswold. I dyed this last fall, and I'm combining the colors by holding the rovings together, and spinning as it comes. As usual, there is no real plan for my yarn...it may go up for sale on etsy some day, or sold at the Log House gallery in Berea, or knitted up at my house. Right now, like me, its future is exciting and unknown....

Just a few minutes ago, I booked last minute plane tickets for the professor and me to go to Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. We're leaving a day early to see my folks in Virginia first. They'll provide us with a bed for the first of our festival adventures...this weekend, Maryland. Next weekend, New Hampshire. I'll try to keep my blog updated as I journey. The project's details will unfold as I know more!

Knitting for the trip? Not the professor's sweater...it's huge! The sleeve I'm working on is now 20 some inches, and I'm doing the raglan shoulder bits...it was 21 inches until I started the armhole decrease! Instead, I'll bring a sock. Small, tidy, brainless knitting that weighs very little is just right for this adventure. I'll include a spindle too. No telling if I'll need to do a little spinning too, as it always calms me right down.

6 Comments:

Blogger Romi said...

Have a great time!!!

May 2, 2007 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

i hope you take TONS of photos!

May 2, 2007 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

The yarn is gorgeous, as usual. And once again you are stirring up my green with envy side, going to the Maryland fiber fest. WOW!!! I can only dream this year, but maybe next. You have a wonderful time.

May 2, 2007 at 9:25 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

I remember reading about Maryland for the first time last year and just trying to imagine what it must be like to see BMFA sock yarn and a fleece auction and the rest. Now I know that it would be either expensive or frustrating :-)

I wish you both a lovely time, and hope that life sends you fun things.

May 3, 2007 at 3:43 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Have fun! The best thing is, if you happen to forget your spindle or sock, you can always buy a new one. :)

May 3, 2007 at 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful time and I am looking forward to your stories when you return. I love that picture out of your window!

May 3, 2007 at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home