Thursday, April 05, 2007

limbo land

OK, on to a different topic or two. Many of you know that I've had a stall out in the work department. I'm waiting to hear if a big project will happen. I'm waiting to see if I will be travelling a lot this summer, or not. I'm afraid to start pitching new projects because, well, freelancers manage our own schedules. If too many jobs happen at once, I've got no boss to bail me out. I do it all. When not enough jobs happen (like now) I have to be glad when I'm busy with other things, like big holidays! It's hard to stay "just busy enough."

About a year ago, I published this pattern with Knit Picks. They called it "lace camisole." They owned copyright for a year, and now it's reverted to me. This pattern didn't sell all that well, but several folks have agreed that was probably because of the yarn choice. As with many designs I do, I didn't choose the yarn or the color for this one.

So here's a question for you, loyal blog-commenters. Do you think I should take the time to re-knit this and rewrite it for knitters to buy the pattern on my website? I think it might be more successful in a solid dk weight cotton, but what do you think?

Some considerations: I'm making steady progress on the (endless) professor's sweater, which will slow down if I stop to work on this... and well, pattern sales on my website have not been booming lately. Is the knitting time worth it? I'm not even sure if I'll wear the sample camisole once it's knitted! (yes, as a designer, I do make things that sometimes aren't quite my own cup of tea...)

All opinions welcome. As long as you're constructive with your criticism, I'm interested!


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think that it would be worthwhile to try and rewrite the pattern for a better yarn choice. it looks like a pattern.

April 5, 2007 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

You know, the color doesn't bother me as much as the outfit. IMHO, dress a slender young woman in one of those little lycra camisoles - black or white - and some warm weather pants (maybe white or faded denim) and put your lace camisole over the top. See how that looks before you go knitting it again. :)

April 5, 2007 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I love the idea of a camisole but the styling (of the photo) doesn't work for me. It looks like it would be too sheer/holey to wear alone over a camisole/bra but I 'don't get' wearing it over a long sleeve t-shirt either. I guess I am a fuddy duddy.

Maybe it would be cute under a simple cardigan/jacket for office during the day and as a sexy evening out top? A solid, dressy yarn might push it in that direction.

April 5, 2007 at 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's cute as it is but not a great way of displaying it. How long would it take you to reknit it?
I think it would show better in something shimmery than and modeled like Romi suggested. Maybe it already is shimmery and drapey - impossible to tell in this photo.

April 5, 2007 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Angela pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. I wouldn't be able to wear it by itself and I wouldn't want to wear it over a complete outfit - it would be like wearing a vest which makes almost anyone look tubular. I think I would only wear it if it was lined so it could be its own shirt, and if I had no chest.

My word verification word today is 'frzfl'. Maybe it's a hint at the new name for the pattern??

April 6, 2007 at 7:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi there,

I agree about the photo styling -- nothing wrong with the color, but this is a feminine lacy garment, the black is too severe. Show it with a floaty skirt and a more girly top underneath, maybe?

Happy holidays...

April 6, 2007 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger June said...

I agree with all the above, and I had another thought, too. What if the bosom area were more solid with the lacy bits below it? I think personally I would tend to like it with a little more shaping as well, but that's just me.

April 6, 2007 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Just wanted to say hello!

I don't really have anything to add to the great comments you've already received here. I like the idea of this garment over a softer colored tank-style camisole. A skirt or capri pants would look nice with it.

April 8, 2007 at 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found my way here from Knit Talk. I love the camisole; maybe in a shimmery ribbon yarn it would make a nice top for parties? I like the idea of wearing it over a camisole, but I also like the long sleeves underneath. It's definitely too sheer to wear alone. Maybe a variation where the boob area is more densely knit? Glad you had a good Pesach!

April 9, 2007 at 4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home