Sunday, March 25, 2007

allergy activity

Spring is popping out all over. Our resident bunny entertains me with afternoon grass snacking visits to the lawn, positioned just so I can take blurry photos out of my office window. I love our bunny visits and appreciate her wisdom in staying in our side yard, where the dogs can't reach her!

Harry and Sally pursue garter snake hunts with a vengeance. Apparently dead snake tug of war is the newest game. (GROSS!) I'll spare you a photo of that one.

Along with the flowers, (daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, and some weird yellow flower whose name we can't remember) we are also blessed with spring's other excitements: tree pollen allergies, and Passover preparations. The professor is completely stuffy, drugged up and out of commission right now, although he did do the requisite lawn mowing while I chopped down weeds. We live in Kentucky, the bluegrass state--lawn mowing isn't optional here for 8 months of the year.

Passover is coming. While we were in Miami visiting cousins, we bought most of our K for P (Kosher for Passover) foods and carried them home in an extra suitcase, since we can't get alot here unless we drive to Nashville. I've already starting cleaning and cooking. We'll have a small seder the first night, April 2nd, with some curious friends since we just aren't able to manage travelling to a relative's house this year. The second night, we might go to a community seder in Nashville, 70 miles away.

Although I love to cook, Passover isn't my favorite holiday. It's a lot of work--spring cleaning and cooking is mandatory for this one. Since I was getting grouchy, the professor sent me off yesterday to a fiber forum in Tennessee. He and the dogs hung out at home, planted potatoes and peas in the garden, and sniffled.

I drove 200 miles to go to the forum, and when I got there, I was underwhelmed. It was a gorgeous day at a beautiful state park, but there were no signs to publicize the event. I wandered around in my car until I found it. There was only one room of vendors and activities open to the public...and aside from the friendly face of a vendor I know, no one seemed terribly social! (Well, I bumped into Charlene Schurch, author of several knitting books, in the bathroom, but she was in the middle of teaching, so our conversation was brief. The bathroom, by the way, was the cleanest public facility I have ever seen!)
I bought lunch at the state park, soaked up the views, and drove back home. It was perhaps a waste of gas, since I missed being able to sign up for classes. I'm learning some of what makes a successful event: publicity, signage, critical mass, and friendliness, to start.

One last note: You may have noticed my new map on the righthand sidebar. Peggy had one, so I stole the idea from her...thanks, Peggy! I've had 160 visits to the blog since Wednesday, the 21st. Wow! Yet...only two comments? Leave a note! Drop by and say hey! What do you think about small fiber events? Tree pollen? Garter Snakes? Spring Holidays?

4 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

Wow, you've had visits from India and several other facinating places. I noticed this the other day and wondered if you had seen mine. Happy to be useful!!!!

March 25, 2007 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

I have to say I don't understand tree pollen. I have never noticed that trees need to be pollinated although I suppose since they are seed producers pollination has to happen somehow. But the back of our yard is overhung by oak trees and in addition to a sticky blanket of pollen they also dump their little pollen fronds everywhere and I have to sweep them up or they compost on the sidewalks. Eww.

March 26, 2007 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

Sorry to read that you didn't have a better time at the fiber forum. I agree that a friendly atmosphere goes a very long way to making events like this more enjoyable, especially if you're on your own to begin with. Oh, yes, and thanks for sparing us the garter snake photo. Dang, the things dogs love to do. Mine came home the other night after his walk with my son having rolled in duck poop. Hideous.

March 26, 2007 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I think it must be so hard to get small fibre events going. I'm surprised to hear that they missed out on some pretty obvious basics!

Here's hoping for improved fibre events this year.

March 26, 2007 at 3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home