Saturday, March 10, 2007

remember me?

Yes, I'm completely overwhelmed and haven't posted for a few days. However, I've met a work deadline (I set the deadline) and now have a 33 page document draft, full of photos and text. I did it in two days. Tomorrow morning, I revise.

(--you may wonder how this amount of writing and photography is done in two days? revision, smoke, mirrors, coffee, and deep anxiety...plus a little unladylike ambition, too.) Hopefully, this endless project will amount to something I can announce to the world some day soon.

I can show you one of those mysterious "work" knitting designs that I'm always doing behind the scenes. Announcing...the grunge girl lace beanie. I was so enthusiastic about this hat that I had a hard time sending the sample hat away! If you're looking for it online, here's the story and here's the pattern.


note to those of you who know me well: No, I've no idea what a ski-boarding hat is. It took the professor a while just to explain ski-boarding...I've never even been skiing. This is how editing works sometimes. It's collaborative writing, right?

Today, because it just didn't seem like I was doing much at all, I was in the car by 7:30 AM, driving the professor to the airport. It's spring break, and he's off to collect butterfly hybrids in South Florida for his research in lovely scenic places like the Everglades. I've warned him to call often and watch out for snakes and alligators. Does everyone say this just before spring break? (I didn't think so.)

On Wednesday, I fly down to join him for a few days of R&R, away from a desk and computer. I will get to see the Florida Keys and Miami for the first time. Any must-do travel hints?

Since I'm a little tired from all the recent work and life drama around here, (not much of it is blog-public, but at least I got to think about it all on the 140+ mile round trip to the airport) I'm bribing myself with treats until I leave town. Tonight, I think dinner will be some quiet sort of omelette, white wine, and leftover apple chocolate chip cake for dessert.

Tomorrow, I'll check out a newly organized Spinner's Group at the Kentucky Museum. I was there to do some research in their collections on Friday morning and found out about this new group. I'm excited about it, and reminded of some long ago friendly porch "setting" and spinning sessions when I used to live in North Carolina. I'll hope for a few hours of spinning bliss tomorrow as reward---assuming I finish all my work revisions in time.

8 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

That is one really cute hat!!!!! Hope you have a relaxing getaway this upcoming week.

March 10, 2007 at 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I havee to complement Joanne on her restraint in limiting her hazard warnings to only snakes and aligators. The last time I was in the Everglades she was also concerned about panthers and bears...

The Professor

P.S. Did you know they had wireless internet in the Everglades? Some of the snake holes have all of the latest amenities now!

March 10, 2007 at 7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joanne I love the hat!
I love that the professor commented on the blog too! I've been to Key West twice and loved it!
Elizabeth

March 11, 2007 at 5:08 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

That is definitely a cute hat; we don't do hats here, but if that changes I'll remember it! I hope you both have a productive and relaxing break, so I won't Google to find out more about Florida hazards. When does the hurricane season start? :-)

March 11, 2007 at 5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great hat!

Watch out for mosquitoes!

March 11, 2007 at 12:30 PM  
Blogger jenknits said...

Congrats on the hat pattern! It looks great!

March 11, 2007 at 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you have a few quiet days for relaxing. The beanie hat looks great, I am going to have to try it even though I look like a complete dork when I wear hats!

March 12, 2007 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Joanne, the hat looks great! Your photo looks more fun and less staged than theirs so it goes with the style of the hat better!

I've never been to Florida but my husband loved Key West and talks about us going back there for a vacation (he was stationed there when he was in the Marine Corps). I hope you have a lovely time!

March 12, 2007 at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home