Tuesday, March 13, 2007

it's a sign...

Well, I'm organizing myself. I'm one of these people who likes everything to be ready and it makes me have a better trip. While I'm not terribly superstitious, I do think there are sometimes signs. You know, things that boost you along at a moment when you feel a bit desperate. Ideas that pop into your head right when you need it. Don't get me wrong, I think we all create the right conditions for this stuff to happen, but even so, it always surprises me when it does.
exihibit A>

Joanne's desk...a place that you've seen before, but when it was much cleaner. I've been spending a lot of time here, and not all of it has been productive. In fact, unproductive would be the word I'd use. It's a sign. A sign I need to see something else for a change. Hopefully Florida will do that for me...although yes, the professor has already sighted a snake of the constrictor variety and two alligators while doing his research. He says the alligators were small, and he hasn't seen either a panther or a bear yet, and it's not hurricane season. I should feel relieved, apparently. He's bought me over two pounds of passionfruit as a gift and is calling me often, so at least he hasn't lost his phone yet on this trip!

I was stunned by the overwhelmingly nice comments about my hat design and hearing from Silvia when I least expected it. First, I was about on my last nerve from dog barking (a dog! a dog's outside! a person walked by! Woof! Woof!) when I read her note, which reminded me that I was?am? (apparently) a patient and kind person. Other people think so! Oh yeah, remember that?! Now I should stop yelling HUSH at the top of my lungs...that didn't help anyone calm down, anyway. I was so touched to hear from Silvia!! There were many special people in our classes, Silvia, and you were, of course, one of them. I remember your bright smile very well!

Ever since I started working by myself, I've reached out on the web and back into my memories, because in my daily life, I see very few people, and my dog colleagues are sometimes barking mad. For instance, they just killed a garter snake this weekend. GROSS! That's why your warm and human communications mean so much to me. Thank you!

I haven't figured out how to find all your email addresses via your blogs, (is that possible? any hints on that one?) but please know that I so enjoy the conversation there, in the comments.

Oh, I didn't give you the full desk perspective.
Yeah, it's a mess. Time to leave.

One last thing. I need beauty in my practical tools, and lately I've found some great joy in working with these short straight wooden needles. I may have mentioned them before:
Turn of the Century Needles --but it bears repeating.
The professor and my mom both bought me more of these this year, and I'm loving the beauty of it. They're biodegradeable, made by two artists only a state away from me, sharp tipped, and silky smooth. Fabulous for knitting swatches and small designs.
Please feel free to drop by and say hello. I can't tell you how cheering all your notes were!



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see someone else besides me has a desk that is well used! I understand the comments bit of this blogging venture way too well.

March 13, 2007 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Mary in VA said...

That desk is nothing! Enjoy Florida and hope you get some much deserved relaxation!

March 13, 2007 at 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just coming to understand the solitary nature of working from home - and I only do it one day a week! I've promised myself an outing now each Monday - I'm going to find a local pub and take something there each week: new design or some swatches or something.

Enjoy Florida, watch out for bitey things :-)

March 13, 2007 at 5:28 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

My 'desk' is cleaner than yours, nyah, nyah. But only because I lost an important document last week and resolved not to spin until I put everything that had a place into it, and at least think about a place for everything else. I no longer have a dog to warn me of every falling leaf; now two cats stare at things I can't even see. Should I be worried, or are they ready to deal with whatever it is?

I hope you have a lovely time in Florida. Remember, every constrictor and alligator you see is a reminder that you are lucky, you don't have these things at home!

March 14, 2007 at 4:54 AM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Ooh. Beautiful needles.
Have a great trip.

March 14, 2007 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Oh dear, I hate to admit this, but my office kind of looks a lot like your office. Sigh, at least I don't feel so alone. :)

March 15, 2007 at 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bwaha - sometime, I'll post a picture of what my desk looks like, and then Joanne and Brenda can both feel *much* better. ;-) Joanne, the sweater looks great, and my daughter loved the roosters. Welcome home!

March 19, 2007 at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home