Monday, January 02, 2006

swatches





I've recently corresponded with a couple of brand new knitwear designers who were wondering about the process of submitting designs to magazines. It's complicated to learn how any new field works, and I like emailing and trying to help them along. I'm no expert, but I figure any information helps. Essentially, most magazines like their submissions to include a sketch, a swatch, a written description of the item, and sometimes other information. For the print magazines, you aren't usually expected to provide a completed design until they offer you a contract.

A knitting acquaintance of mine asked whether I could just sew together all my swatches and make something out of them, but many of my swatches are 3-D minatures. I have no idea if other knitwear designers do this. As a result, I have a box of 'swatches' waiting for new places to submit. Here are a couple of 'swatches' floating around my office. One is an envelope throw pillow--very easy knitting and no big design challenge there. The other? A babushka doll, dressed to look like many of our Eastern European Grandmothers. I have a chador doll too, complete with black chador, to look like our observant Muslim sisters. So, no, my swatches don't easily convert to afghan squares, but I have lots of little odds and ends to play with, if a little one comes to visit. Do you find this interesting? Want to see more? Let me know.

2 Comments:

Blogger jenknits said...

I love the little doll swatches. How did you make the dolls?

January 4, 2006 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Ahh, now that's the secret, isn't it? (don'tcha want the pattern now, huh huh? email Interweave Knits, quick!) Just kidding, they didn't want it. Briefly...here's the idea. Try it with three squares of fabric first. #1 is a skin colored square. Make a head out of the center of the square, stuff it, and tie it shut...use a drawstring or noose technique.
#2. Cut a hole in the center of the second square, the "dress" colored square. Put it over the head. Tie or tack it down.
#3. This should be black. For a babushka doll, fold in half, and put as a kerchief over the head. Sew on.
For a chador doll, make another hole in the middle of the square, put it around the doll's head. Stitch it on so it doesn't fall off the doll's head and embarrass her.
Embroider face if desired. I hope your kid likes it!

January 4, 2006 at 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home