Sunday, April 23, 2006

iPod stole rug

First, I should describe a study I read once. It listed various countries and how those people dealt with computer problems. A high percentage of Italians apparently just stomped on their computers. That's right, hit, punched or otherwise destroyed their CPUs. (OK, I don't remember exactly how they destroyed them, but you've got the point.) I know how those Italians feel.

I have a PC. It works well. I got an iPod in January for my birthday. My kind husband said, gee, you're trapped in your office listening to books on CD while you knit up samples and designs for work. Wouldn't it be great if you had an iPod? So, he not only bought me an iPod nano (just right for a book or two and some tunes) and he got it engraved. It says:
Joanne Seiff's iPod
Love Jeff Harry & Sally
That's one great hubby. For a few months I was happy. I walked around downtown looking just like all the college kids. I was plugged in. Then...I started having software problems. The iTunes wouldn't recognize the iPod. I couldn't get the thing to upload new books. I was without my beloved knitting Podcasts. I managed to fix it one time. It worked. I felt reassured. I uploaded 17 CD's worth of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince into iTunes. I was so excited. Then, it wouldn't work. I tried everything. I have been through the whole darn Apple support website. Finally, I got ahold of a computer place in town that helps with iPods. The guy said--send it back, it's brand new, this shouldn't happen. I did that. I got it back-no replacement. Apparently it meets Apple's specifications for acceptable performance, usability and/or functionality. Now the thing is completely dead. On Monday, I'm going back to the computer store to ask for help.

I've wasted 3 days on this. (full days, in which I could not really focus on other work, because I was constantly restarting the computer in hopes I would have found the "cure.") This was a present from my spouse. It must work. Dang it. The best part was when it said, repeatedly, that the computer "can't mount iPod." Whoa, that gave me images I didn't appreciate.

On to positive things. This is my stole.

It's knit out of lovely mohair boucle from here. I really loved knitting this because it was straight garter stitch. That's right. Soothed my brain-dead, software deranged soul, it did. Here's a bigger image of the thing:

It's probably about 55 inches long and well, pretty wide. Don't know how wide exactly... I made up the pattern. I knit it on size 7mm (10 and three/fourths) and size 17 needles. It went very fast and looks like a slightly curly spider's web. I'm going to wear it to my brother's wedding next weekend. I didn't block it--it did not seem necessary.

In the world of big needled projects, I have also finished my crocheted roving rug. I decided I was done because it got too hot to work on it anymore. (the roving is sure warm on your lap while crocheting.) I found some neat rubberized backing stuff that can be painted on to keep it from slipping. Here's what the backside looks like after its first coat.

I promise, I'll show you a photo of what the right side looks like, as soon as this stuff dries... this is a roundish oval shape, probably 4 and a half feet long at its longest diameter. Maybe bigger. I wanted a bigger rug, but like I said, it just got too hot in the living room to keep crocheting! I probably used up 3-4 lbs of wool on this, but I'm not sorry. I think it will be a great addition to the living room...and it didn't cost much, and it's washable. That's a good thing with two dogs.

I'll spare you the image, but I've reseeded the backyard with grass seed and then covered it with a bale of straw. Furry Harry now wears a lovely straw coiffure whenever he spends time in the yard. That's all right, it's certainly cut down on the mud inside--it's just straw now. ..it adds a lovely aroma when he brings it indoors. Hah. I just need the grass to grow!

2 Comments:

Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Sorry about the ipod:-(
The stole is great. Very wearable and quick! I love the rug and can't wait to see the other side!

April 24, 2006 at 5:26 AM  
Blogger jenknits said...

I can't wait to see the other side of that rug!

April 24, 2006 at 2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home