Friday, November 10, 2006

FiberFemmes

(the yellow in this photo is my marigold dyed yarn)

My article, Dyeing with Marigolds, is up at Fiber Femmes Ezine! That's the good news. I was so flattered when the editor read my blog and asked me for the article. Otherwise, this week has been filled with upsets. Silly and some not so silly things, but unsettling. For instance I'll let you laugh over the silly ones with me. Last night I looked forward to a wonderfully quiet night of sleep, since the snoring scientist was out of town and I was tired. Alas, Harry the dog decided he didn't feel good and wanted me to know it. After several trips outside (one at 3 AM) and some soothing, he fell back to sleep in his crate. Sally, good girl that she is, just slept on. Feeling out of sorts? Several nights without much sleep certainly aren't a recipe for fixing things. You just might get used to staying up all night, like Harry.
-
I did meet up with some very fun knitters in town yesterday, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. (reminder to self-do that more often!)

These fibery successes almost made up for my overzealous trash collectors, who decided to throw away my compost pile this morning. Yup. No more compost. We do have the most thorough trash collection here that I've ever seen. Too bad it was compost.

Sarah's comment to my last post reminded me of something. Now, I hope I don't have to be quite so embarrassed when we travel overseas or see our British friends. For years, I've had to preface political conversations with my friends abroad by saying, "I don't agree with..." so that I wasn't immediately besieged by eager debaters. It's hard when many in the world don't think your country is doing the right things. The recent elections will hopefully allow our country to turn around and cooperate with others in the world. I hope it will all be for the better...more peace, stability, and less warmongering.

I love long meals with friends, where we linger over good food and wine and discuss big ideas. We don't have any tickets to Europe just now, but I'm hopeful that when we do, I'll be able to smile at my friends as we discuss some improvements we Americans have made. For now, I'm grateful that I have a dinner invitation this evening right here in Kentucky. Let the discussions begin!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the FiberFemmes article. You make it real...I sniffed the aroma rising from the dyepot and felt the excitement of "our" first peek at the fresh-dyed yarn. Serious info too, blended in with a fun fiber experience. You are such a good writer!

November 13, 2006 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Thistle Cove Farm said...

VERY nice article at Fiber Femmes; we are graced by your gifts of time, energy and expertise!

Many thanks and we hope you'll return...soon.

November 13, 2006 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Good, straightforward explanation, with a nice balance of caution and enthusiasm. I do sometimes wonder what I would (will) be discharging into the sewers if (when) I start dyeing stuff. I'm cautious because I remember my mother systematically testing ceramic glazes from the ashes of almost every plant in the garden; glazes don't do it for me, but I nonetheless have a feeling that there's an(other) addiction lurking in my future!

November 14, 2006 at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home