Monday, November 27, 2006

first anniversary!


drawing caption: Joanne's poorly rendered cyber cake and candle! This week is my blog's one year anniversary. Hard to believe, huh? A wise friend once told me that anniversaries were good times to evaluate things. How is this relationship going? Are we meeting all our goals? Still enjoying everything, are we?

Well, when I started out, I thought this would be all about fiber arts...except for the occasional dog story. What I've realized is that many of my work projects require confidentiality, so I can't post photos of designs, article ideas, etc. without "giving it away" and breaking my promises. So, instead, this has ended up being something about fiber, and something about stories. Later this week, I hope to have some photos, for instance, but until the pattern is published at Magknits.com, I can't post about it. It is coming out soon though! This has developed into something else: my stories, my "yarns," lots of food and my adventures...except, well...

I didn't want a "tell all" kind of blog. Also, whenever I got the least bit controversial in my writing, or on my blog, I've gotten some unpleasant feedback. (those anonymous phone callers who tell me to "Go to Hell!" weren't so enjoyable...and yes, I've heard from my very own conspiracy theorist.) I've learned from this that I can discuss interesting things here, enjoyable things, and even upsetting things, but that unless I want to be threatened again, I'll just stick to the non-controversial stuff here. I've decided that since I get paid to write controversial things (like, gasp! my columns on religion!) on occasion, so I don't have to take the risk here unless I absolutely feel the need.

I've met some goals I hadn't intended to meet...and it's been fabulous. Wonderful people from all over the world contact me. I love this! I love learning from you and emailing with you. Keep it up! The blog has also helped to boost my web presence (goal met) and that's helped some old friends and such to find me. Just in the last few weeks, I've gotten back in touch with a teacher and mentor who truly inspired me as a writer...she continues to inspire me, now that I know what she's been up to! Then, out of the blue, I heard from an Australian friend that I'd met long ago when I lived in Israel as a 16 year old on a study abroad program. These new and old connections are very important to me. The blog and some web presence worked to build more community and relationships for me.

Last, I am learning from feedback. A cousin I saw at Thanksgiving said, "Your blog has so many words! Ours just has photos!" She's right...I'm a wordy gal. I'll try to be pithy and put up some more photos. This week, I'm excited about the knitting and revisions I've been doing, and I hope to have more visual things to post soon. This blog thing, this relationship seems to be working out, now that I'm thinking about it.

So, folks who read my blog on occasion, why do you read it? What do you like? What could I do better? Join in to commemorate my first blog-iversary in style.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Happy Blogiversary.

You know me, I like the food bits, and the fiber bits, and the Joanne bits (even the controversial bits).

More photos would be nice though. A little eye candy never hurt anybody.

November 27, 2006 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Happy Anniversary! I think it's all good, a small window into someone else's life. I understand your reluctance to post controversial bits when doing so results in unpleasantnesses, but your thoughts and experiences are, um, educational, a reminder that others' lives and problems may be very different -- or very similar. It depends a bit on why you feel you need or want to post: some bloggers clearly regard blogs as places to let off steam, but their unfriends may not read their words :-)

More photos would be good. Not just of yarn (more pictures of spinning?). Pictures of landscape take shape in my mind as I read any blog, but my imagination needs something to work with. 'Kentucky' is green grass, white fences, racehorses, and a range of low mountains/hills blue in the distance. I have a feeling there should be more people and buildings in there somewhere. And it may be just me, but I always wonder what a place smells like. Dusty? Green? Flowers? Hot? Wet? Alas, the internet seems so limited sometimes...

November 28, 2006 at 3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn’t have a lot of time to look at your blog. I have returned to the Wash DC area from my deployment and various other things. It took me a while to get adjusted to everything here again but I have gotten back into the swing of things. More to follow.

November 28, 2006 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Happy anniversary!!! I just love your writing style. It is very inviting and open:-)

November 29, 2006 at 5:32 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

Being rather a 'wordy gal' myself, I enjoy reading your words. And this is, after all, *your* blog and not an article you're being paid to write. So I say, yak away if that's what you feel like doing. I think you come across as a very genuine person. :)

December 5, 2006 at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home