Thursday, June 07, 2007

fiber and the squish award


I didn't come home with this fleece, or any other fiber, even though there was a silent auction right after the fleece show judging. Please. Applaud my restraint.
Show #1-finn fleece
Show #2 Alpaca seconds and a Grafton fibers batt
Show #3- Yarn, some of which I have already knitted. Improvement?

I didn't come home with any animals, although the pygoras in the last post and sheep like this (see this expression?) left me sorely tempted.

Lucky I didn't come home with sheep, since I live in town with two bird dogs who would chase a sheep to panicked distraction. Never mind the zoning laws, or that we have a drought right now, so even the famous Kentucky bluegrass isn't green, but brown. Would the new dogsitter watch sheep too? never mind...

As a reward for my restraint (please laugh here), we've had a double helping of veggies. We belong to a CSA, a farm that does community supported agriculture. We used to love the farm we belonged to, but as of this year, it now sells only in Nashville, because so many people there wanted their rich diversity of organic produce. Then a friend, John, convinced us to sign up for a different farm, and he shares the "share" with us. The friend is off visiting family in Scandinavia. I'm pretty busy lately, organizing book projects. I'm personally designing project #4 this month! I haven't had the time or patience to put up veggies or figure out what to do with them...where is John when we need him to eat all the squish!?

Usually, we like vegetables of all kinds. However, we're not fans of squash (renamed squish by the professor--you know why) and zucchini. The professor wants to compost it all. I have tried making: zucchini bread
summer squash stir-fried with teriyaki sauce (teriyaki sauce=professor's favorite.)
Moosewood Cookbook's yellow veggie quiche crust (uses quantities of summer squash)

I'm now considering a zucchini brownie recipe. Waste not, want not, right? Even when it's squish? We're struggling with this one. Correction: I'm struggling. The professor is all ready to feed the squish to passers-by, the compost pile and anyone else who wants some. Could be a long summer here...

The professor gave me this sunset picture he took in Sedalia to show you. Good sunset, huh? That yellow blaze of light? reminds me of squash.

5 Comments:

Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Have you ever tried making refridgerator pickles with squash? Yum!

June 8, 2007 at 5:10 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Squash I cut into chunks and roast/bake with cumin or mexican spices. I've got a recipe for risotto somewhere, too. Try zucchini cooked in butter with fresh mint (just put a lid on the pan and shake now and then), or part of a tray of roast vegetables with onion, garlic, tomatoes and peppers and a spray or three of fresh rosemary. Or start roasting everything without the tomatoes, then add a couple of tins and continue until it becomes a sort of cheat's Ratatouille. We both love this hot or cold with almost everything from cold meat and cheese to roasts.

Now I'm hungry and it's not even lunchtime...
Happy Fibre!

June 8, 2007 at 5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE zucchini! and I'm the only person I know who can't grow it! I have a dynamite zucchini bread recipe.

June 8, 2007 at 8:42 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Wow. Maybe I should package all this stuff and mail it to you guys!? No recipe can convince someone who doesn't like squish at all to enjoy it. Believe me, I've tried! (I am not a fan, but will eat the stuff.)

John, our friend who shares the veggies, came home today and I've given him two zucchinis and 3 pattypan squash. That's just what's left over so far! I've used roughly 3 zucchinis and 6 yellow summer squashes in the past week. It's going to be a long summer, I'm afraid...

June 8, 2007 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Romi said...

You are *amazingly* restrained! I am duly impressed. :)

June 8, 2007 at 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home