Saturday, January 19, 2008

big birds and other funnies

I've got a joke for you. Or, as a kid might say, "I tell you a funny!" The professor is on a variety of lists for his work and research. One is called "evolution" or some such, and often lists research positions. There's a really hot European postdoctoral post that's just come up. The subject line:
JOB: Study the Great Tits of Switzerland

We've been laughing about this for several days. The professor thinks that maybe English was not the poster's first language. (YA THINK!?) The person who originally posted has since reposted with a much less hilarious subject header. A shame--you can almost imagine his embarrassment, and then the thought, "You people have such dirty minds!"
In case you think I'm being lewd, here's a link to a BBC program that refers to these creatures. They are really just big birds. :)

Continuing the wacky theme, these are my nephew's newest pair of mittens. Made with O-Wool...OH, Wool, how I love you! These things bloomed up in a fantastic fashion when I washed them for blocking, and only took about a day or two to knit. You'll notice the distinct lack of thumbs. These are Auntie Joanne's special thumbless wonder mitts (patent pending!) for 2 year olds who refuse to wear their handknit mittens, because it's hard to suck your thumb while mittened. Now, I'm not taking that personally, and we all know that breaking up with your thumb is hard to do. In the meanwhile, it's January, and those little fingers are cold. Hence, my second pair of mittens for this little man...

Finally, I demonstrate the newest in interior design chez Seiff. See below, the two-toned new pad for the dogs' bowl. Crocheted on an enormous hook, with hand-dyed roving from my stash. There will be a pattern for something sort of like this in my book. In the meanwhile, I got tired of looking at the old ratty felted sweater pad. It was dirty. It took less time to crochet this than it would to wash the old one. Plus, I like crochet better than handwashing...

My friend Rosemary called me the other day and we commiserated about writing books. There should be a support group, I'm just sayin'! However, she's kindly given me an award since then...see details on her blog. I will be posting about that soon soon. As soon as I stop giggling about those big birds in Switzerland. Heee hee.

Are you laughing? Huh? Please, tell me you're laughing here in the comments!

8 Comments:

Blogger SueJ said...

A hand crocheted pad for the dog bowl! Best not let Moss see that one! and yes.... I am chuckling away at the GT's of Switzerland!!!!

January 19, 2008 at 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, here I was thinking of the tufted titmouse, which is a tiny little bird. So when you said they're big, I was going, wait, you sure!... Ah well. Size doesn't matter.

January 19, 2008 at 1:20 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Everything's relative! These birds, the Great Tits, are bigger than the Lesser Tits.

(ok, I really didn't name these birds myself, and we can't stop giggling over here.)

January 19, 2008 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

OMG, those mittens gave me a laugh. They are too cute! And the birds. Hee. :)

January 20, 2008 at 3:09 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

I'm laughing just thinking about the guys rushing to apply for that job only to experience disappointment...ha! And the mittens are a brilliant solution. :)

January 20, 2008 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I have no doubt that it was a very 'hot' posting :)

January 20, 2008 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Just catching up...and laughing!

Those mittens are too cute...what a good auntie you are! (and you must take a photo of them in use...so that you can tease him about it when he becomes a teenager!)

January 22, 2008 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger weebug said...

Slightly belated 'cuz i am really behind, but that title was really funny! i love the thumbless mitts, you are of course, a genious. (and obviously i most likely can't spell either)

January 22, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home